Moving to Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by delorean, Jan 8, 2010.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Long time no see all, been rather busy recently so I've had little time to relax.

It's not official yet, I'm still waiting for the final score to come in from upstairs but I've been told I am being considered for transfer/relocation to our offices in Hong Kong. Certainly a prospectively huge thing for both my personal life and my career.

I was just wondering if anyone knows much about the place concerning not just IT but the whole living/working thing?

Daunting but exciting times possibly lay ahead. I should have the final score next week. Fingers crossed!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sounds awesome. I hope it works out for you.

'ho wan' mate
    (used online translator so don't quote me on this)

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks mate, nothing is final yet. Waiting for the final all-clear from upstairs on Monday so we'll see. Just preparing myself in case!

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow, what an adventure that will be. Good luck 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Wow! Hope your score comes in. Best of luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks a million lads. I'm keeping everything crossed for this one, came as a bit of a shocker. I won't divulge too much in to the situation yet as I have a horrid feeling I'm just setting myself up for a big fall. I keep thinking it's just too good to be true.

Heck I'm even considering going to church for the first time in years in the hopes of borrowing a bit of luck from the big lad upstairs in the hopes I get the job!

I'd love to hear from anyone out there right now (perhaps we can meet up if I get offered the job?). Or has anyone lived there, worked there or been on vacation there at all? Any scraps of info at all would be useful. I know sites for ex-pats exist and I've ploughed through a few in my time but I'm ideally looking for gossip and scandal from the folk that matter to me in this situation most, the IT community. Hence the thread. :)

I'll be gutted on Monday if it all falls through but heck, to even be considered for the job and to have it presented upstairs (heck, one of my bosses is on vacation all next week and is coming in to work just to state the case to send me there) is amazing to me.

Even though it's not a done deal and it may well not happen, it certainly ranks as one of the best experiences to happen in my IT career so far, consideration alone.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Looks like the move is still planned but thankfully it's been postponed until later on in the year. A little more time left in paradise yet! :)

I'm still keen to hear about any tips and experiences you may have re: Hong Kong, better forewarned than err... however the rest of that saying goes!

9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I've been to Hong Kong, but only on vacation. As far as cities go, it's got more bustle than little old Geneva or Lausanne here in Switzerland.

Cost of stuff is very reasonable for those of us who enjoy the 'better' western salaries. Absolutely stunning hotels with great rooms (suites) for just a few hundred bucks a night.

Some fab restaurants too... and there's a small Disney world. you can walk from building to building using walkways that keep you off the streets for an dhour or two no problems. Tons of shopping possibilities.

And that's about it... It really is just a big city, you need to go mainland China to get out into the countryside. Not for the claustrophobic I'd say.

Having said that, if I was paid well, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  10. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Sounds the same as Toronto although there I used underground walkways to avoid the cold!

Thanks for the tips.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I stayed in Hong Kong for a day while passing through to/from my final destination in East Asia last year. I can't really provide too much info... we ate at TGI Fridays to get some American food in our system before coming home, saw the skyline, shopped in the outdoor bazaars, and stayed in the CityView hotel before flying out.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Wow
    Shame its not until later now. I'm moving to Taiwan end of the year. We could do a CF GTG Asia8)

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You'd probably have to come to the middle of nowhere to find me unless we met up in an airport. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Well, the results are finally in and... i'm not going to Hong Kong.

Well, I am. But I'm not really, but I still am. Confused? Allow me to explain!

The last over was bowled last week and I hit a six. My employer has offered me a position in Ireland which is absolutely fantastic news as I am seeing out my days there anyway and getting married there next year. Brilliant stuff.

I will however be looking after our European, Middle East and Asian interests and thus will be paying these interests a visit in person through the year. Lots of travel involved but I'll be primarily based in Ireland for the best part of the calendar year.

It's a fantastic opportunity to leave Grand Cayman with my current employer. So many ex-pats are not offered such an opportunity so I'm incredibly grateful to be given such a chance (and a more senior role than the one I am currently in).

So very soon indeed I will be back in the real world, back to a European climate and back to income tax misery! HUZZAH!

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

On the plus side, you'll be able to watch Barca every week on Sky without having to resort to a moody internet stream... :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

This comment pleases me greatly. I admire your gungho Barca spirit! :alc