Moving server off monitor switch

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Dazzo, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi Guys,
    Got 2 servers currently, and we are having one upgraded. The engineers requested the other server to be relocated to give them room for their installation etc. The servers are currently on a belkin KVM 2 port switch. Is it just a simple case of turning the server off for the time it takes to move, setting it up with an individual monitor and using a seperate port?
    Just a little hesitant to move the server atm.

Darren

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

bump ^ ^

3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

The question is a bit vauge...

The only purpose a KVM serves is to allow two or more computers to use one set of input peripherals (specifically a PS2 Keyboard, a PS2 Mouse and a Monitor).

If you remove the KVM then you'll need to get a keyboard/mouse/monitor for each server.

Both servers will need to be switched off before replacing the KVM with separate kit as PS2 isn't designed to be hot-swappable.

...This answer your question?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi, thanks it does.
    Prob I am having is that i work for a medical centre and the clinical server is controlled via an external company. I myself dont want to turn it off however the other server i can (and do) for updates etc and have more control over it.
    Could i not shut down the non clinical server move it and leave the clinical server connected to the KVM or would this make the KVM unable to control the monitor? First time I've ever come accross a KVM

Darren

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well the KVMs i have used, have all worked if only one server is connected to them, so in answer to your question.. you should be able to power down your non clinical server, as you described and still leave the other connected to the KVM, without issues.

However, disclaimer.. i havent tried it on a Belkin :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)