Moving Mailboxes Frustrations!

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by craigie, Nov 29, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Just thought I would share this with you, incase anyone else spends the last hour of there lives trying to figure it out!

In my Lab I only had one Storage Group for all of Users with all Transaction Logs, Databases and System Paths on the same volume.

So I create an Exchange E:\ Volume and move all the Transaction Logs, Databases and System Paths onto this and create new folders and grant the necessary permissions.

Next I created another Storage Group to have only my Admin Users Accounts on this (for backup and testing later on).

Again I create new folders for the Transaction Logs, Databases and System Paths and create new folders and grant the necessary permissions.

Right then I activate the new Storage Group and voila its working!

Time to move my Admin Users across, I bulk select them and whammy Error Messages.

OK, I thought lets narrow this down, so I move Admin1,2,4,5 individually and they work perfectly. Check out there Exchange Mailboxes and send some test emails. Lovely.

So then I try and move Admin 3, more Error Mesages from the Exhcange Move Wizard:

The information store could not be opened.
    The MAPI provider failed.
    MAPI 1.0
    ID no: 8004011d-0289-00000000

So I google it and MS states this so I look at the Self Permission in Mailbox Rights so I do that and Run Clean Up Agent several times using slightly different ways (just in case!)

Again same Error Message, so I reboot (you never know) and check that the services are all running. I then move some more accounts in bulk and they all work fine.

It's only this one account Admin03.

Finally, I had a flash of brilliance, am I logged on with Admin03? Yes I was. So I logged off with Admin03, and then moved the account with Admin01 and guess what it worked.

So the moral to this story, for some reason you cannot move the Exchange Mailbox for the User that you are logged in with.

Now to try and get that hour back :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Go to Microsoft's web site and download ExMerge as this is what they reciommend you use when moving or migrating users mailboxes. Cheerio and lets know how you get on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry you sorted out as I just re-read your post. Well it's all part of the learning fun when it comes to IT:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks Onoski, I thought ExMerge outputs the specified customers Mailbox to a temp PST folder and then imports it again on the specified destination, but with the draw back off that the fact that the Single Instance Storage Feature is lost.

Meaning that each Migrated Mailbox will have a copy of every message it contained, effectivley doubling the size of the Mailbox Store.

Hence the reason I only wanted to use Exchange Tasks as Hard Drive space is becoming a bit of premium on my lab :(

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yeah! correct, but if you wanted the existing mailbox pst files carried over then that would have been the way to go using ExMerge. But glad you achieved your goal and thanks for sharing:)

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Another good reason for admin accounts not to have email accounts/mailboxes associated with them.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685