Moving DNS between windows 2003 servers

Discussion in 'Networks' started by hippy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Hello,

I need some help. At work i need to move our DNS (win2003) to another server (win2003, different ip and name). What would be the best way to accomplish this? I have to do it on Sunday morning (argh) so no one is on the network which is a good thing. There are currently 6 reverse look up zones.

Thanks

p.s. Neither servers are DCs so i cant cheat with the whole intergrated DNS. I also do not have that much experience with DNS servers.

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

If its not on a dc can you not copy the \%sytemroot%\system32\dns files to the new server, I think you should be able to do that as installing dns on a non DC means its not AD intergrated right!? also dont forget to update all your dhcp scope options with the new dns server details.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Helloooo,

Figured something out and it appears to have worked.

On the new DNS server i made all zones forward + reserve secondary zones and got the dns detail transfered over. Then im going to change all the zones to primary zones. remove the dns from the old server. Shut the old server off and then change the ip of the new server to the old servers entry (i know i cheat :P saves changing lots of records). Then the whole network dies, london blows up and whale swallows up new york.

the end

I didnt think about looking in \%sytemroot%\system32\dns which is a good point. The DHCP settings i have already preconfigured for when i change over on sunday morning.

Thanks