Moving away from home for a job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Sep 7, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

My contract is ending where I'm at this Friday and I'm going to take 1 month off to get my CCA finished off and to be honest looking at the job sites in Newcastle it doesn't look good for work at present. Has anyone say moved to another city leaving family behind and stayed in a B&B for 3 months doing a contract and then moving back home and repeating? Asking this as it looks like I might have to seriously consider it but wanted to get some advice on this type of working life.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I met my wife-to-be about a week after I started a job that involved extensive travel. I was away from home 5 days a week, seeing my girlfriend/fiancee/wife only on weekends. After 9 months, I had had enough, so I got a job here locally.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

I had a job few years back that was a four months contract and in that time I travelled to few cities (Manchester,Liverpool,Wigan and Leicester) at times I remember being away from home two weeks and no coming home even on weeekends, I was ok with that I mean our team was really cool & I enjoyed every moment of it & found my now x girlfriend on the job.

You might want 2 to do it for a while but on the long run you might wanna get a local job and settle in specially if you don't wanna be away from the family. (just my opinion :))

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
    Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Had jobs all over the country for 15 years, even lived in a travelodge for 1 year, it gets you the work, but the cost to your personal life can be pretty high...

Guess thats maybe why there are not so many women in IT...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I even moved to a different country (twice) for a job, you have to do whatever it takes (I currently commute 150 miles a day spending 3 - 4 hours a day in the car).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

wow now thats dedication mate. I might have to start to travel a lot as the IT market in Newcastle is now starting to be an issue as I'm moving up the ladder as the jobs are just not there. I'm hoping to get a Security Cleared job (which I have) as they pay better and hopefully the extra will cover my costs. Real bummer Newcastle is this poor for IT.

Anyway guys cheers for the advice. And I already have a wife so couldn't even look forward to trying a few out on my travels :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011