Motivation

Discussion in 'A+' started by Fanatical, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

I'm really starting to flag with my self study and kinda need people to kick my arse and remind me why I'm taking the time to restart my whole "career". I'm feeling like i'll never know enough of ths stuff to pass an exam. Each day I think I know something and then I speak to a techie and I feel as if I've gotten nowhere. I can't see the light at the end of the tunell and I'm struggling to keep myself going each time I look at the frickin' huge book in front of me... You may not be able to help me but it's good to get that off my chest.... :confused2

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

- set yourself small goals. one chapter a week, or x number of pages a day, whatever you feel you can handle as far as time and dedication goes.
    - also make your study a part of your daily routine. try to find a time of the day that suits you. put it on the calendar even.
    - if you have one, get your significant other involved in helping to motivate you.
    - don't even start thinking about booking the exam until your about 90% done.

3. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

First off,shake those doom and gloom thoughts out of your head,you've a long way to go but you've already taken the hardest step,you've started your A+!

Secondly,don't try and run before you can walk.What seems like a mountain to climb will soon become a steep hill and eventually a stroll in the park fella,it just takes time.You should take your time to read and digest a chapter at a time and don't think reading your book once is going to be enough!You'll finish the book,fret about having forgotten half of what you've read and that's the time to pick it up and read the bugger again,trust me-it works.

Use a decent search engine (there's a ditty that flies around CF that says "Remember,Google is your friend!") and use the many,many support sites that help to explain the various ins and outs of the subjects you are studying.

7 months ago I was in exactly the same frame of mind as your are now Fanatical...and TODAY I recieved my A+ certificate fom CompTIA,as you will in a few months.

Your biggest and in my opinion the best source of knowledge is right here at CF,so don't be afraid to use it.No-one minds being asked questions and I'm know it gives great satisfaction to CF's staff and members to be able to offer help and advice to those that ask for it.

Now,get yourself back into a learning frame of mind,shout if you need help and keep us posted with your progress..

:box2

Certifications: A+ Network+
  4. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

:clap :clap :clap :clap Brought a tear to my eye.. Nice one Mal, i'm in a similar boat and have to :juggle work, a baby, a wife and then my A+, it seems very daughnting, but after reading that I feel as though I want to kick ass!

Certifications: Village Idiot Award
    WIP: working towards everything..
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well said! d-faktor

Take small steps, don't focus on the target 100% but the journey to it!
    Keep it simple and if you still feel lost then look at your original reason as to why you are taking the change.
    What do you want to do, where would you like to work, write it down, pin it on the wall, somewhere you can see it everday. This is good reminder of why your here. Never lose sight of your goals.

Monkey

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+