Motivation/Enthusiasm this way please!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Aug 13, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I don't know what's happening recently but my motivation/enthusiasm has left me.

I posted on another site a few week ago that I felt brain dead because I just couldn't take anything in.

People said "do something different, it'll pass" problem is it's still here and it's getting me down.

I've got a new project in the pipeline so I'm looking forward to that but apart from that my enthusiasm and motivation are non-existent.

I've posted something like 40 posts on here but hardly any of them have been technical.

Brain Dead is the best way to describe it.I used to see practice questions and peoples problems as challenges but now I look at them and I just cannot be AR$%d.

It's taken a heck of a lot to get from knowing nothing about comps to get where I am now.Maybe I'm just getting dispondant that I'm not working in IT.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm learning to be a heart surgeon without ever giving someone a plaster.

I want to get my hands dirty, I'm sick and tired of learning all this technical stuff yet I wont probably use it until 2010 or something, it's doin me head in :x :x :x

I feel that I've seriously burned out.I'm fed up feelin lost in all this information and I honestly wonder sometimes what I'm doing.

Please advise.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Flex,

You just summed up my position at the moment as well ! But we're all in this madhouse for a reason - IT certification.

Bottom line is, the more you (me, us) know - the better our chances ! I'm sick of not even getting an IT interview yet, but I sure as sh1t ain't givin' up either studying, or trying !

Whats your motivation ? Do you have family to support like me ? Or are you after a Ferrari or worse, a Man Utd season ticket (kidding :oops: ) :?:

My philosophy so far has been "OK, be p***ed off " at not getting the interview/job/Ferrari, but you still get to be proud of yourself for trying !

Each exam passed is another reason to be proud ! Remember that.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I should be taking 70-210 and 70-215 pretty soon.I'm sure I'll feel better after I've passed those.In fact I'm going to book it soon to give me a reason to get back on track.I've been studying for them forever.

I think because I have no real world experience, I don't feel confident in the subject.

I've never been able to measure myself you know.Even if I could work in a place for a day, just to see if I actually know anything that will actually work!!!

My main motivation personally wasn't for the big ferrari and luxuries.Of course money is a factor to help me do all the things I want to do with my life.

My motivation was that I wanted to do a job in which people respected me for what I did.I want to go to work every day not knowing what I may encounter.I want my ideas to count for something.I want what I do to make a difference to other people.I want the money so I can pursue my many other interests.

After working in a job for 3 years in which I hated every single day, I reavluated my life and knew I was capable of much, much more.

So I decided to do MCSE.

When I'm feeling like this I try and think back to when I worked in that Sh£$hole and say to myself it's a heck of a lot better than that.

In a way though that's like saying you should be on top of the world every day because your not starving in Africa.

Yes, people feel better but five mins later they revert to their meager problems.

I've not learnt anything new really in two weeks, it's just seems to be a stalemate situation, I'm just hacked off and can't seem to get going.

My progress is so painstakingly slow I feel like a Sloth on valium.

I always have these moments but this one's lasting a long time.

I don't have a family to support and I work part-time.Really I'm in a very good position so I feel really guilty for being on a downer, I just can't help it.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

My solution ? Go climb a hill and have a word with yourself about your motivation for doing the MCSE !

I've been there too, Flex - climb the hill and ask the questions. Then, come back down with a clear head an pick up the book.

Step at a time, mate - at your OWN pace ! :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Join the club, flex. I am so burned out on working for the Postal Service in my slave job. My last IT contract work was in May. If there's too big a gap in my resume, it will be harder to get more jobs. People keep telling me that jobs will pick up in the fall. I sure hope so. It's really tough to work in the heat of the day for 9 or 10 or more hours a day, six days a week and still come home and try to study, plus work on my other projects plus pay attention to my family.

One thing that might help is to switch around projects. If studying MS doesn't float your boat, pick up something else. I have a copy of "Linux for Windows Administrators" by Mark Minasi and Dan York. You can learn alot about both Windows and Linux in the same text plus Minasi is pretty easy to read.

I'm toggling between a sybex study guide and an e-book study guide...just to keep the variety in. When I get tired of those things, I take a look at my next writing project and start doing research. My problem isn't that I have only one thing staring me in the face and its boring me...my problem is I have so many things to do that it's tough to get any one thing done. It would be nice if I didn't have to work my slave job but my family has gotten used to having food and shelter.

At least if I were working in IT, I'd be learning while I was working. Just hang in there, buddy. We need to support one another.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

How you feeling today flex, if I could add anything one thing I'd suggest is to get yourself into a different study pattern. One pattern that has worked for me in the past is a reward based study method. Sounds odd but its worked for me. See I tend to spend way too much time doing other stuff that I find more rewarding like working on the site, going for a beer or two with friends, just watching TV or playing games on the PC rather than doing whats important like chores or study.

Do what Jak says and go have a quite word with yourself. Tell yourself that once you’ve done a certain amount of study say 1hour, 2 hours a chapter then you can go on the net or do whatever. But you got to be though on yourself. Its all too easy to think, I'll do some study later then look around at the clock and you've been surfing the net for 3 hours.

It might not work for you, but give it a try.

HTH, Si :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'm feeling better thanks SimonV.

I went for a bike ride after work, which I haven't done in a while.

I went right around the town.I started by going towards the beach past all the footballers houses.

Then I went along the seafront and sat off there for a bit.

I went around the golf courses and up past where I used to work (I looked at my old work place and reminded myself what the place was like).

Then I made my way home.

Took a couple of hours and the sea air and really knocked me out, I think I'll sleep well tonight.

As I was sat looking out to the sea I had a word with myself.

I came up with quite a few insights after really searching hard for answers.

I won't bore you with the whole shbang but I must say I've put a new perspective on things.

It was good to remove my head from the comp screen for a few hours also. :onthePC

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015