Motherboard Package

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Markyboyt, May 11, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I'm thinking of doing my first PC build and was looking around a few sites listed in the top thread on here
    I found this package which seems quite cheap compared to individual prices of the components on ebuyer.
    http://www.saverstore.com/productinfo/Product.aspx?product_id=20017664&rstrat=12703

It is a motherboard and processor package and i just wondered what peoples opinion of it was.
    It is an intel motherboard BOXDQ35JOE uATX Q35 LGA775
    and the processor is Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz LGA775 FSB1333 4MB
    It appears to be a microATX board, could this cause problems?
    Is this combination likely to cause any restrictions for any reason? such as limiting the choice of components or anything.
    As it stands im not in need of a mega power pc or anything, for gaming i use my Xbox 360, although it might end up being used by my brother in which case guitar recording could come into the frame lol.

I more want to do it for a bit of experience, is a good way to learn what goes with what and also what factors need to be taken into account.

All feedback will be gratefully recieved

WIP: A+
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

A micro ATX board wont have as many expansion slots, but the one in that package has PCIe 1x and 16x and a standard PCI slot. Its a lot of kit for the money, just make sure you get a case that can hang a micro ATX board and you should have no problems.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Markyboyt

Ah the beloved PCI slot, am i right in thinking the PCIe 16X would be for a video card, if so what are the 2 PCIe 1X lots for.
    Maybe it would be better to opt for a full ATX board

4. NightWalker

Yep

You get network cards and sound cards etc for PCIe 1x slots.

Personally I would go for a full ATX board. Have a look on overclockers.co.uk, they normally have some good bundles.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What Nightwalker said.

Also look on www.novatech.co.uk sometime they are cheaper than overclockers. I was looking at bundles a while a go and sometimes it is better to buy the mobo and processor seperate as it'll save you cash. Then you get to fit the cpu in the mobo yourself.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. NightWalker

*engage sarcasm mode*

Why would you want to fit the CPU yourself. If you go to PC World the lovely helpful man will sell you a PC that’s already made...:twisted:

7. greenbrucelee

and the cpu will be in backwards with some cheese acting as thermal compound :) especially if its from PC world.

8. NightWalker

Ah yes, a nice slither of gorgonzola... :biggrin

9. Markyboyt

Just looking on there now, they have a few mobo packages but dont seem keen to give any clues as to the model of mobo your buying so you can look up the full spec, probably will just opt for a seperate bit then i get the joy of hoping all parts are compatible, that said if they're not then i learn why not and dont do it again lol.

10. Markyboyt

I thought that was ok a long as it was philadelphia, not the one with the chives in obviously though, that would be daft

11. greenbrucelee

If you go the section dedicated to mobos then you will be able to get the info on there.

12. Markyboyt

They dont tell you which motherboard it is though

13. greenbrucelee

I see what you mean, just buy seperate, atleast with buying the mobo seperate you can find out what the mobo is.