Motherboard or CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by law123, Jan 14, 2006.

1. law123

law123 Byte Poster

I left my PC running this morning when I returned several hours later I was getting a black screen with some error code telling me to insert my windows XP cd rom and press 'R' when it boots to cd rom at start-up so I can use the system recovery program. At first I just tried to reboot my pc to see what happens. As I was not using the PC when this error had occurred I just tried to see if it would boot normally but no luck back to the same screen with the message. I didn’t read the message I just went into my bios set it to boot from cd rom first and booted it up. it went through the usual sequence until it came to the usual message windows is starting right before were you get the option about installing repairing and so on. At this point the system seemed to hang so I hit my reset button and tried again the same hang point again so I tried a third time. This is when it go ugly the system didn’t boot at all. There was no post codes just silence from that the system fans where running the CPU fan was ruining there was lights on the mobo but no post screen.

I am not sure if it is the CPU or the mobo as you are all aware it can be pretty pricey to replace one just to find out it is the other so can anyone give any advice on what to try to eliminate it to the problem.

I have tried replacing the PS and also tried another Graphics card the card and power supply worked in my other machine but can’t try the CPU as the other machines are AMD and this is a P4. I have also disconnected all other PCI cards to rule them out.

The Mobo I have is a Gigabyte 81k1100
    The CPU is a P4 3.0 GHz
    4 x 256 MB of ram

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No easy way of telling without diagnostic equipment, as a failed chip on the motherboard can cause the CPU to not start.

As you have changed the PSU my next step would be to fit a postcard to see if the CPU is starting at all. Disconnect all drives as well as PCI cards - I've seen a failed drive lock up the processor.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The only other thing you can do that Harry hasn't mentioned is to pull some of that RAM out. Try and boot it with the minimum amount.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

You could test to see if the processor is actually dead by removing the heatsink and fan, powering on the system and touching the die on the processor. If you get burnt the processor is fine :)

EDIT:
    Good point, have never seen it before, but it's possible.
    If the die is hot though you could probably still rule out the CPU.

Neall

5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'm not sure if a dodgy mobo or CPU would generate that message about running Windows Recovery would it? Just a BSoD I would have thought.

I had a very similar thing happen to me, where every time I rebooted, things seemed to get worse, it turned out to be a hard drive failure. As I didn't have a back up I lost all my data :( . I've learned my lesson now though.

The one thing I'm not sure about though is why, if it was the hard drive, it won't boot from a CD.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Should explain all mate ;)

7. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Thank to all that has replied. :) Well the good news and bad is that it is not the CPU as I disconnected everything last night and then tried it again. Still nothing at this point so I replaced the mobo battery and then took out all the Ram except one chip tried it and started getting bios post beeps. I think at that point I knew I was on the correct line. So I put the Graphics card back in and I got one single beep as I would normally. So I plugged in the monitor and then the HD. Then I started it up just to get a CMOS error so went to the BIOS set it to LOAD optimize defaults. And tied again to boot it. The system ran ok started Windows at this point I thought problems are over. So I then powered down and put a second Ram chip in all ok :) So power down again and put third in and problems began again. A black screen after post to saying as follows
    :mad
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corr6upt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM select 'R' at the first screen and select repair.

As I had just installed the third Stick of RAM I decided to take it out and try booting again. Normal start-up again so I ask my self is it something to do with this stick so I try the other one I have left as you may recall from first post I am using 4x256MB of ram which has worked for about 2 years now the board can take up 4GB of ram and has 6 slots. Anyway tried the other ram chip and again black screen same message. So tried swapping them around into different slots but still the same error screen. So I try repairing windows using CD-ROM but just before it goes into list of options I get blue screen with the message BAD_POOL_HEADER. As I said two sticks it runs ok so I have tried running Norton disk doctor and when it finished it restarted the machine and the same black screen with the message above. Has anyone any ideas apart from telling me that I have system reg problem as I have looked up on google about message Windows/System32/Config/System but the problem is what is wrong on the side of the ram

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Law,

Just picked up on your thread. Problems like you mentioned are always the hardest to find because as already pointed out, one thing could stop something else from working.

From what i have read you have pinpointed the problem to a stick or RAM. If your machine runs perfectly hot, cold, idle or under load without the last stick of RAM then i would get another stick.

If you plan to work on other people's Pc's then a POST card is a must. It will give you codes when your BIOS speaker doesn't.
    They pop up on E-bay from time to time......

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Thanks Boyce but I wish the problem was ram. :cry: As I had said after running Norton Disk doctor the system rebooted it self with just 2 sticks of ram. As I had noticed I go above 2 sticks I was getting the error message but after Norton ran and rebooted the system I got the error screen with just 2 sticks. And now I can’t even get it to boot to CD-Rom although I have set bios to do so. I read about what you said about test board and I think it would be a good idea but at the moment this is not someone else’s pc it is my own. And I am hoping to sort it out without going down the line of looking for test boards.

For interest sake where can you buy them anyway does anyone know if I can buy one locally. I live just outside Glasgow. And roughly how do they cost. As I dont have a credit card

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Law,

Sorry i misread the last paragraph of your last post :oops:
    This one
    looks quite good.

The problem with a situation like you are in substitution or a POST tester is the only way.....Let us know how you get on. :thumbleft

11. law123

law123 Byte Poster

I have now removed HD and tried another HD tried to install windows and blue error screens or pc just reboots. The HD I was trying with in the first place was a Maxtor 160GB SATA. This is just 8 weeks old but I thought give it a try as even new parts go faulty. This HD I am trying now is old but has always worked on my other machine's it is a Fujitsi 15GB ATA. It has also worked in this machine for a short time while I eliminated my last HD problem hence new HD. So I am now looking toward Motherboard. What do you guys think? Also still looking for reply to above post regarding Post Card

12. Baba O'Riley

D'oh! :badi Always read the question, how many times must I tell myself?

13. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Please explain what you meen thx i don't understand :oops:

14. Baba O'Riley

15. law123

law123 Byte Poster

I am sorry Baba O'Riley but I thought that I had explained everything. From how it would not start with no post beep codes, to error messages on a black screen, to not bring able to even do a recovery, to not being able to do clean install, to unplugging everything and resetting Bios, to installing HD, to corrupt registry files, to changing power Supply to changing Cmos battery, to replacing Graphics card, to pulling out RAM and yes I have even tried Ram from another system.
    That may not be in order but if you read my posts you will be able to pick up on the correct order. :(

So it is not just BSod I do understand that you had a problem with a BSod and it turned out to be your HD but this is different as I have swapped HD's and lots more but still got the problem. :x

:D And I am glad you have seen the error of your ways with regards to keeping a back of your files. Good ways I have found is another HD or save to disk regularly.

Anyway as I have asked does other or your self think it could me the Mobo. That question includes you Baba O’Riley. :D

And the other was about a Diagnostic post card. Does anyone know where I can go to buy one in lets widen search area to central Scotland. As I don’t use Credit Cards.

16. law123

law123 Byte Poster

A little update on progress. Machine will now freezes as windows splash screen appears. Do you know the one with the windows XP loge just before welcome sign?

17. law123

law123 Byte Poster

A little update on progress. Machine will now freezes as windows splash screen appears. Do you know the one with the windows XP loge just before welcome sign?

Oops dont know how to delete this sorry

18. john666

john666 New Member

ANYONE STUDYING CCNA

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi John,

Please can you start a new thread whenever you want to ask something new. Thanks.

20. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Law,

From what i can gather you have now installed Windows on a SATA drive, yes? Does your BIOS recognise the drive? Have you changed it as you said it was previously running on an ATA.

Did XP ask you for a SATA driver during set-up?