Most Websites Not Working

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Stuzzle, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

I'm reallllllllly stuck on a remote support call in my new job guys :(

The customer phoned up because he couldn't connect to my companies website. I checked and he also cannot connect to MOST other websites. Google, BBC and Teamviewer are the only sites to have actually worked. Most other HTTP and HTTPS sites dont work

I cleared the cookies, history and SSL state. Turned off antivirus, firewall, windows firewall - all didnt fix it. Windows Updates stop downloading at 39%.

I pinged the afore mentioned working sites and got a response. I pinged the non working sites and no response

I checked the network connection, it has TCP/IP setup, all details assigned automatically as is usual.

System Restored back to September, still not working. Tried Google Chrome, nope that wont work around it either.

Tried enabling and disabling various Activex controls, still no response so reset em all back to default.

I am straight out of ideas what to try :(.

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Have you tried another PC at the clients site? It may be a DNS issue, it may be their internet filtering, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said, might be a content filter.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't have physical access to the clients location, only remote support, but he is bringing in a 2nd laptop today to try that out.

Also I don't know where specifically to look/didn't see any kind of internet/content filtering but will have a look around for that possibly. I'm pretty sure their computer is just administered by an administrator account and not based on a network, as they are a small florists.

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You mentioned pinging the sites that don't work and didn't get a response. Try running an nslookup on the sites in question and seeing if the name resolves.

Also, you could try using nslookup on your own system to get the IP of one of the sites in question, then try using the IP on the clients computer rather than the domain name.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

UPDATE:

The customer brought in their laptop and cannot get that working correctly on internet either

Example working sites - Google,BBC,helpforheroes.org.uk and eflorist.co.uk
    Example non working sites - Hotmail, certforums, eflorist.net

I can ping, nslookup and view (by address and IP) the working sites. I can nslookup the non-working sites but can neither ping nor view (with IP address or domain name) the non-working sites.

Lastly, I can view non-working sites through a proxy site

:dry

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Content filter. Whoever is responsible for the proxy server or content filtering that is on his internet conenction is who you/he needs to talk to. If he's a one-man-band type of client, then it's probably being done at the ISP level (or at the client site if they have a managed firewall)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Sparky

Not locked down too much then! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Really thanks alot for your help guys :D

After a while I narrowed it down to the router not connecting to it's external DNS servers. Found the customer's ISP on their hub and tracked down their website - not a single one of the numbers on the site worked. Turned out the ISP was bought out last year. anyway I phoned up the new ISP and they eventually said that apparently BT was having some issue with outages in the north which was affecting their users

10. Sparky

Weird, that would not have stopped you pinging the non working websites previously.

Perhaps a routing issue?

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

This was just a terrible outage.