Morning All, the sun is out, on this wonderful day

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sk8nride, Jan 20, 2011.

1. sk8nride

sk8nride New Member

Hello to all,

My 1st post.

A bit of background, im a older gentleman (33) who at the moment has had prob 15 years in the IT industry, more hardware, breakfix type roles, back in the day (1999) I had a choice of having intructor led courses for 6 months non stop and around £12k later, either MCSE in NT3.51-4 with exchange and tcp/ip OR Netware... after a bit of arm bending i chose the NT route...
    Me being me thought i know my way around Win95-98 and little on NT thought how hard could it be? Well it was hard, and every minute learn or atleast listening to new things which for anyone is hard to take in and process for 6 months ish straight!
    After failure after failure on the exams i finally got there, could say with dedication etc you can get there... although after the 3 years i didnt go down the XP upgrade path and it faded out, but my main thing i realised is that 90% of what i learnt didnt make a difference in the job roles i was doing nor did i have the chances to get any real experience with it so it kinda went in and out...
    I see many people ask whats the easiest certs to get and really the answer is, depends on the job paths you want to go down.. always start with the basics, id personally say A+ N+ any common vendor type if you come into contact with their hardware and looking for a role that uses it. The long harder road of certs are for the experienced and long term people who tend to use the education hands on rather than someone who has the paperwork but not the ability and ruins the industry with poor workers.

So im here now in the hardware game still and thinking im not really going anywhere and time to get some certs as all my employers have never had any education options...

I do have some questions and will be posting them in other sections today...

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+