More Questions A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by MrNice, Oct 15, 2004.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I have a few more I cant quite get my head round, again any help or advice would be gratefully recieved.

Q)I have a fully operational CD-ROM on my Win98 pc but the drive is not listed in windows explorer, what is the reason for this?

1)CD-ROM drive is using a protected mode driver
    2)CD-ROM drive is using a real mode driver
    3)Win98 does not support this brand of CD-ROM drive
    4)The boot sector has been corrupted by a virus

Q)What does MS-DOS use to provide devices with direct access to memory and I/O devices?

1)real mode driver 2)protected mode driver 3)a .dll file 4)an .OCX file

Q)I use PING to contact a web server at your ISP using it's IP address,the TELNET service is also running on the web server, I then use the TELNET application to contact this web server using it's FQDN but it doesnt work,most likely cause?

1)Server type is SLIP & I have a PPP account
    2)Server type is PPP & I have SLIP account
    3)DNS servers at my ISP are unavailable
    4)32-bit Windows socket interface Winsock.dll is missing?

Q)I want to verify mappings on my Win98 pc between IP addresses and MAC addresses on an ethernet network, what should I use?

1)ARP utility 2)Winipcfg utility 3)PING utility 4)Tracert utility

Q)Which of the following commands allow me to check the IP address assigned to my Win98 PC, I dont know the host name of PC and need to use the least effort? 2 choices

1)Ping 2)netstat 3)Ipconfig 4)ARP 5)winipcfg

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Q)I have a fully operational CD-ROM on my Win98 pc but the drive is not listed in windows explorer, what is the reason for this?

1)CD-ROM drive is using a protected mode driver
    2)CD-ROM drive is using a real mode driver
    3)Win98 does not support this brand of CD-ROM drive
    4)The boot sector has been corrupted by a virus

1.) Cos they are all mad answers, so I'll shoot with this

Q)What does MS-DOS use to provide devices with direct access to memory and I/O devices?

1)real mode driver 2)protected mode driver 3)a .dll file 4)an .OCX file

I'll go with that.

Q)I use PING to contact a web server at your ISP using it's IP address,the TELNET service is also running on the web server, I then use the TELNET application to contact this web server using it's FQDN but it doesnt work,most likely cause?

1)Server type is SLIP & I have a PPP account
    2)Server type is PPP & I have SLIP account
    3)DNS servers at my ISP are unavailable
    4)32-bit Windows socket interface Winsock.dll is missing?

3)DNS servers at my ISP are unavailable. Deffo - if you can ping by raw IP, but not name, your DNS is goosed.

Q)I want to verify mappings on my Win98 pc between IP addresses and MAC addresses on an ethernet network, what should I use?

1)ARP utility 2)Winipcfg utility 3)PING utility 4)Tracert utility

ARP or winipcfg ...I say winipcfg cos I forget what ARP is about.

Q)Which of the following commands allow me to check the IP address assigned to my Win98 PC, I dont know the host name of PC and need to use the least effort? 2 choices

1)Ping 2)netstat 3)Ipconfig 4)ARP 5)winipcfg

winipcfg in 98, ipconfig on all later windows OS's to date and netstat

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I would also say winipcfg. ARP is Address Resolution Protocol, (layer 2 of the OSI model) which Maps Harware Addresses to IP (layer 3) addresses.

E.g, a router recieves a packet destined for 192.168.1.1, but doesn't know the MAC Address. An ARP request is broadcast to all node's on that segment and the node with the address 192.168.1.1 replies and sends it's MAC address to the router, which then forwards the packets.

There is also RARP, or Reverse Address Resolution Protocol, which maps IP addresses to Harware addresses. Exactly the reverse of ARP. :)

winipcfg would display the MAC and IP address of the machine

I believ this is right, but then again I'm on my 5th beer and it's tastin better with every one. :D :morebeer

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

um unless im reading the question wrong its ARP

it doesnt ask to know what the local ethernet interface is configured as, it wants mappings of ip -> MAC

thats clearly arp

arp -a should do the trick

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I knew I was in a slightly grey area there chaps - thanks for clearing that up.

But still, another example of a dubious question....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the advice, no one get question 1?