More job woes...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by derkit, May 24, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Following on from another thread, I went for an interview within my company for a systems admin position, didn't get it because someone else had more technical knowledge and needed less training (fair enough, got no quarms about that, business direction first et al).

I found out yesterday...... they didn't give it to someone that was more experienced, but someone who knew the answers to the technical questions they were going to ask! It made my blood boil, but a quick summation:

1) Guy worked in position, moved up to 3rd line. His younger brother (18 ) on 1st line support for 6 months.
    2) Younger brother applied for same job I did
    3) Company doesn't really change technical questions asked (confirmed by a number of different people from different departments).
    4) Older brother gave younger brother 2 books - server 2003 and AD - 1 month before the interview, told him what to read etc. and he read during his time answering phones.
    5) Interviewed me 14th, Interviewed brother week earlier and told him he got it on the day of his interview.
    6) By random coincidence, met younger brother "helping out" on my tour of the work area. Found out he was "asked to join them to help out" the day following his interview and nod that he got the permanent job!

I had no chance of getting the job because it already been given to someone else!!!!

:x

He had no certs, no degree and only 6 months experience - makes me really question why the hell I put the effort in

:mad:cussing

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Proof positive, if any were needed that its not what you know but who you know...

Dust yourself off and go for the next one, theres no way you can win against nepotism and the world isn't gonna change any time soon...

To the employer it looks like the right move, promote internally the people that show talent, unfortunately you know better...

It highlights a lot of stuff, you generally have to be many times better than internal staff or personal contacts to win the same job, sometimes if you're to good they won't give it to you either !

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats crap it would piss me off too.

If he isn't any good then it will soon become evident then maybe you will get a 2nd shot. Maybe in the meantime be on the luck out for other positions.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I agree with GBL, sounds like a crap company to give someone the job without even completing all the interviews. Maybe time to look for a new job where your efforts and certs will be appreciated (and these places do exist, I work in one).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

derkit

This happens in most companies, especially large ones, even my now retired father experienced several times this losing out to positions within a company that he worked over 40 years for.

I have also experienced a situation similar to yours.

I expect this is why networking works so well these days especially for senior positions.

AndiC

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Bad luck - but keeping putting the effort in!! try not to have a throw in the towel attitude, even though it annoying.

I had a similar experience (when you don't agree with a decision the boss has made) but I found out that there is not a lot can do or say in this situation. However, there is always the option of looking for another job outside the company and take all your experience and knowledge with you.

And I know this might sound a bit morbid but if you were to pop your clogs tomorrow, within a month or so they would re-advertise your job anyway and life would just go on. Do you don't own these people anything.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  7. irwin_m_fletcher

irwin_m_fletcher New Member

That really sucks, but sounds so familiar. The company I work for follows the same system which is why we're close to going under.

Don't dwell on it, they've made the mistake and I guarantee in the future you'll look back on this and be glad it happened, chances are you'll find something better.

Good Luck finding something else.

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Lets put it this way, the only reason you didnt get the job is because someone basically cheated.

That should make you feel great, now you know you could get this kind of role, even if it means at another company.

Keep up your hard work, and dont let this worry you, sometimes this happens, with any luck this guy will fall on his face, but thats not your concern.

Best of luck for the future.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Derkit, it fews bad but unfortunately a lot of companies do this as its who you know and not always what you know. However, most company's worth working for would go through the proper and fair channels.

Don't let this get to you as you're more intelligent than that so look else where and move on when the right opportunity clicks. Best wishes:) and keep hustling.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I worked for a company like that once or twice. I'll tell you about one of them. This company was given free and clear to a church organization to fund help fund that church's educational system and give the students a place to work to gain life skills and some spending money.

It was a furniture making business and they were given hundreds of millions of board feet of standing timber along with all the land it stood on. The timber was old growth pine that was of incredibly good quality. They were also give a working sawmill so they could cut their own lumber, a dry kiln and a planer operation so they could season and plane it. Plus the furniture business they had was going great guns when they got it.

They put people in charge of that business who practiced nepotism, and within 30 years they had to declare bankruptcy. Think about it. They had free raw materials, existing infrastructure, and cheap labor, and they still managed to bankrupt themselves before then ran out of the free raw materials. They also made it into possibly the worst place in the world to work at that time.

So, I'd count my blessings if I was you that you've found out already how deeply nepotism has taken hold there and run, not walk, away from there. I'd start hunting a new job immediately as you will have no future there, and the company will be heading down the tubes. I've never seen nepotism practiced successfully.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for all the words guys - everything you've said makes sense, its just such a kick in the gut when it happens (ie, beaten by a cheat).
    It wouldn't surprise me that it is elsewhere, and to be honest I do feel that I'm not going to achieve what I want to by staying with this company so best to move on.

There was a bit of self-pity earlier, but I know I've done the right thing by studying and getting qualified so lets find someone that would respect someone willing to learn and progress.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293