More harm than good ???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by C.L.C, Dec 12, 2006.

1. C.L.C

C.L.C Bit Poster

Hi, I'm trying to study A+ using a M. Meyers book but am wondering that if i will not be taking the exam before the new 2006A+ will i be doing more harm than good.
    Thanks

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+,N+
  2. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hopefully more good as I am in exactly the same boat

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, it may require a bit more work at the end of the day, but even if some of the stuff you are learning is not tested, it is still knowledge that nonetheless is handy to have

WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

At the end of the day knowledge is knowledge, whether it relates to an exam or not.

Just because the exams objectives may have changed (or be changing) doesn't mean that the knowlwdge isn't needed in the real world.

Keep up the study guy's, it just mean that you will already know loads when you take up the new stuff.

8)

4. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Try some simulators or Video Training! It's better!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  5. C.L.C

C.L.C Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice but where do we find these.
    Thanks

WIP: A+,N+
  6. Chris-H

Chris-H Bit Poster

Same situation here too but as mentioned, you can't do any harm by learning.

My concerns are

1. Windows 95/98/ME/NT4 have been removed from the objectives. Does this mean that I will not get a question on these OS's? I can save time by concentrating on 2000, XP and MCE?

2. Questions on Safety & Environmental Issues and Communication & Professionalism - I havent a clue what sort of questions to expect as I haven't seen any study material or practice exams covering these, however together thay make up 15% of the exam. I'm hoping common sense will work here.

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Good luck with the Cert :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Chris-H

Chris-H Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice.

You've lost me a bit with
    'The objectives were quite clear when I sat the 301/2.'

The 06 exams are 601/602(or 3 or 4) I don't think the 301/2 exams covered questions on Safety & Environmental Issues and Communication & Professionalism. (I don't think I will be in the position to take the exams prior to March 07.)
    I've read the 06 objectives and can understand what they expect from a tech. I just haven't seen any questions on these particular areas so I don't know what to expect.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Domain 3 of the 2003 objectives (301 & 302) covered PC Preventive Maintenance, Safety, and Environmental Issues.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Chris,

Ah, i see what you mean. The objectives only list what topics you are going to be tested on. For exam preparation, ie, the layout of the questions I would register with Exam Cram (they used to do a question via e-mail a day) and Transcender money allowing.

Good luck with the cert. :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT