More and More SBS 2003 Training

Discussion in 'SBS' started by zimbo, Jan 3, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I like to keep up with CBT training providers and i have noticed 2 major market players (CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal) have released or going to release a Small Business Server Package:

CBT Nuggets

Trainsignal - Releasing Jan. 10, 2007 Small Business Server SBS 2003 R2

Does this mean there is an increase in SBS interest? Or is the cert now being taken by more people? The one question remains - when will someone create a SBS 70-282 Cert Guide??

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Interesting - thanks Zimbo!

Though this comment from the first link is worrying, as it sounds like they are trying to put us out of a job..

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good to see more resources for the 70-282 exam but I would still like MS to release an official book.

I’m not stressing about the claim that an average computer user could deploy SBS, even if they could what the hell are they going to do when they come into work and the server won’t boot?

Panic! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Great to see more material being made for SBS.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the quote from MS.

In all honesty, the *average* computer user wouldn't feel confident backing their data up and re-installing XP, never mind setting up a network with SBS.

The people paying the money in business, do just that - look after money and aren't normally IT orientated. If something happens to their data they want it back!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The amount of sick SBS boxes I inherited last year was a joke, although it’s a good thing for me as it means more clients and therefore more money being pumped into the business. 8)

I’ve seem everything (I think) from no backups, no AV, a firewall configured with allow all inbound traffic, a cracked copy of XP on 20 PCs and the genuine advantage tool picked this up the same day (give or take a day or two for each PC) and finally some really poor email setups with POP connectors and forwarding rules flying around all over the place.

In some cases it has been ‘someone who knows about IT’ who has installed the server to save the company some money but in reality it has probably cost the company money with downtime and also there is a great risk for a small business to go bust with a major data loss.

Me: Do you test your backups?
    New client: Ummm, we did a few years ago.

One thing that does pi55 me off is that some of these servers have been installed by “IT Companies”. I’m guessing there is many of these cowboys around the Small Business sector but I think the standards should be the same even though it is not a corporate IT environment.

I have met some of the other companies when there is the official ‘handover’ of the network and I often wonder how they got into IT. Arguably it’s not the best circumstances to come into contact with another IT company but I remember a comment from one guy who said “Good luck, this company is a nightmare”.

I spent a week on site fixing all the problems the previous IT company had created\not fixed and now the client is happy and has been added to our pool of existing clients and there has been no hesitation renewing the support contract. I think it was more of a case that the previous company didn’t have the expertise to fix some of the issues on the network and the client just lost the plot!

Getting back to topic there is a always shortcuts taken in the small business sector but if you want IT to work the way it should then it has be installed and maintained by an experienced IT pro. End of rant! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Gaucho

Gaucho Bit Poster

Nice post Sparky, I feel your pain but also share in the gains of poor previous installs.

Just keep mopping them up :)

Gaucho

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSE
    WIP: Exchange