More advanced career in IT......?????

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Rikstaparr, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Rikstaparr

Rikstaparr Bit Poster

Hi, first post on certforums and could really do with some big help!!!....I was thinking about an MCSE course and here is my experience in the IT world..... I have 11 years experience working for The Ministry Of Defence in:

Military Data/Voice Communications (User Accounts/Security/Circuit Configuration etc etc...)
    Satellite Communications
    NVQ II in Communications
    Basic knowledge of repairing/replacing pc's boards/psu's/peripheral's/screens/keyboards etc etc.....
    Software removal/installation (Windows XP/Vista)/Anti-Virus/Drivers/BIOS/CMOS
    I am security cleared.

I have also just completed a 2 week Dii (Defence Information Infrastructure) course on Server Maintaining including:

Nodes/Power Up/Down
    SAN Operation/Maintenance/Recovery
    CISCO 3750/2811 Switches/Operation/Maintenance
    HP Server DL380 (Wintel)/Operation/Maintenance
    Sun Netra Server
    Unix Server
    NetApp FAS2050
    Windows Server 2003
    Computer Associates Services
    Core Servers/Routers
    WAN/LAN/WIM/WUM
    PuTTY
    RADIA
    RAID
    UAD'S
    Backup Server Laptop
    UPS
    Steelhead (WAN Optimizing)

I completed the above course in preparation for my next deployment, which shall be for 4 months working at Server Maintainer level on a onboard network of approximately 30 UAD's. During this 4 month period I shall also be trained to Administration Services Manager level, using Netcool/NetApp/Radia/Sharepoint/Sandbox/Windows Server 2003/IPS/Sanctuary/SCCI/Incident Management.

After my 4 months experience working within the above network I hope to have achieved a good level of experience working on Networking at Maintenance and Management level.

It is at this point I shall be looking to undertake a SELF-STUDY course (Or even during this 4 month period). My current salary is around £30K a year, but I work away for 8 months a year (Navy) and I want to be at home with family more now...so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks in advance!

Certifications: GMDSS (GOC)
    WIP: CCNA??? MCITP?????.....
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My advice would be that with that experience you could easily walk into a role as a data center engineer (with the multitude of different vendor experience you have people would probably snap you up), another type of role that you would probably do well in is with a reseller (I wouldn't suggest a manufacturer as I think that would probably hold you back to one product base, with a reseller you have the opportunity for multiple vendor experience).

As far as self study is concerned, unfortunately the entry level certs are probably pointless so I would go with the vendor certs (NetApp NCDA or the Cisco CCNA).

One thing for you to consider is whether you want to go down the data center route or change direction, my only concern with that would be whether you would be bored if you changed the area of IT that you would work in (the Server, SAN\NAS, Networking experience you have really should give you a wide range of projects that you could work on).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Rikstaparr

Rikstaparr Bit Poster

Cheers for your advice Simon, I have a couple of further questions if I may? Firstly do you mean I should easily walk into the role of a data centre engineer with my current experience, or after I have had the 4 months working with the network?

Secondly, I may sound a bit naive here, but could you please further explain the 'reseller' role, I don't understand what area of IT that applies to, i.e it's involvement in IT software or just the engineering/maintenance side of things!

Again, many thanks

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

To be honest you should be able to walk into a job with HP/EDS/ATLAS or another Security Cleared position on a lot more money than £30k. I worked for HP doing a similar position (or at least I was meant to but thats another story) but walked away from it as it didn't suit me but you have a lot more experience than I do in that type of environment and there are usually jobs for your skills up and down the country. Get in touch with Project People (agency) who deal with them for jobs (not the only agency mind you).

If you want to get away from military then you should as Simon says get a job with your skills.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You need the experience, I could do a course but without the experience I wouldn't be any good at it.

A reseller does exactly what it sounds like, it resells products (both hardware and software as well as services) to the end user (usually a business rather than Joe Bloggs). Whilst vendors can and do sell directly to an end users it's more likely that the client will have gone out to market to see what the other vendors have to offer, so whilst you may get a good deal directly from a vendor (Dell, HP, Cisco) you're more likely to have a better idea of what other vendors have on offer by going to a reseller.

As a technical consultant with a reseller you will be expected to learn about all of the products that they (as a reseller) offer, that could be a pre-sales or post sales support role as well.

Entry level roles for people normally coming into IT usually covers Service Desk work (call taker, 1st and 2nd line), however as you wouldn't really be 'coming' into the IT industry you would just be changing sectors (a forces career into either Public or Private sector), that means it 'should' be easier for you because of what you're already doing.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Rikstaparr

Rikstaparr Bit Poster

Mike & Simon

Apologies for not thanking you both sooner for your advice, I've been away. I have absorbed your advice and shall use it to assist me in my quest!!!...Again many thanks!!! :D:D:D:D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010