Morbid people

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Mar 16, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

This is a question to all you who are intending to start a course of any kind or for those who have recently passed any course in the IT industry and are starting out

when or before you did your course in what ever, did you ever come across them people who seem to think they know it all. Ive had a few comments made to me some encouraging and some that really pee me off. The most recent was a taxi driver (nuff said) who tried to say that everyone is jumping on the IT wagon and that jobs will be very hard to come by and that i was basically wasting my time, i think he sugested plumbing in the end

Now stuff like that plays on my mind for some reason, and i wondered if people had any lovely sly digs that i could throw back in their faces,something a lot nastier that youll never know if you dont try

Thanks all :x

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

happens to me too sometimes, and that stuff also plays with my mind, but i always remind myself how much better i am than *person in question* and that they don't know what they're talking about, whether it's true or not.
    and i forget about it in a few days, so all's well.

i have an inflated ego :twisted: but it helps me not care too much when people try to put me down or discourage me.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

regardless of what people say, whatever trade your in, there will always be a demand in every sector, what ever it may be, I.T. sector, plumbing, electrian, cleaners, hookers and P.I.M.Ps... :biggrin so just ignore it or try to...

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You should have told him that you had considered training to be a taxi driver but didn't want to waste your life. Or you failed the assessment because you had an informed opinion based on facts.

Anyway, any industry is going to go round in circles. As soon as a report is published 'shortage of traffic wardens' then it's only natural that people see this as an opportunity in a competative world. Then we end up with too many traffic wardens (as if) and not enough bakers because they are all handing out parking tickets.

If anything, the IT industry has survived this ebb and flow better than most others due to the continued expansion of IT related tasks (the baker now has a network administrator to keep his ovens at the correct temperature, the till working and SAP maintaining an inventory of his egg stocks.

everyone's got an opinion. I suppose if you do something well it doesn't matter if you are a plumber or a network engineer as far as you are concerned.
    If someone told me there was a world shortage of dentists, I still wouldn't be inclined to become one.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

[rant]
    Please don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I was a taxi owner/driver for some years (and others on this forum are too) and I'd like to think I don't fit the sterotypes you are keen to propogate.

I know many well educated and very intelligent taxi drivers, as well as those who are not so gifted. I can apply this to any other trade/profession you like.

One of my good friends is a philosophy graduate, flying instructor, and commercial pilot- but he chooses to earn his daily bread by driving a cab on the nightshift.

By choosing to write people off based on their job reduces you to the very level you are so keen to look down your nose at.
    [/rant]

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Actually this has happened to me a lot... Been told this sectors the one to get a job in or that sector as the skills are in short supply.

Years ago i decided i'd do web desgin and the a+ at the same time... It was just as the big bang for web desgin started over here (uk). When i signed up for the course they had to make 3 classes as so many were interested... The same happened for the A+... 2 extra classes due to demand.. Everyone thought that IT ws the in thing. Naturally half of those who started on the course either quit or failed by the end.

So last September i decided that i'd try and get back into electrical work... To do this i needed certain Qualifications i didnt get during my apprenticeship... Phone the local colleges to see about the courses available.... All i wanted to try were full. Why? well new regs were out and everyone saw it as a chnance to get into the "in" trade. Everyone wanted to be an electrician as they were in short supply.

And now? Well seems ppl are trying for IT again.. As my g/f says its all swings and roundabouts.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I thought this had all ended after the .com boom but maybe I’m wrong. :blink

Put all the negative comments to one side and concentrate on what career path you want to take. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs