mooney

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mooney2, Aug 1, 2007.

1. mooney2

mooney2 New Member

Hi everyone

Although this is my first message I have viewed some of the topics for advice. I have especially looked at the ones to do with NITLC and Computeach as I'm looking to get on a IT support course. Although I read many negative reactions to Computeach I have decided to go with them as the guy explained things in a very clear way. I only spoke to the NITLC guy on the phone and although he was good I came away believing the courses were a lot more expensive than Computeach were offering. I'm doing the A+, MCDST and N+ at a cost of 3550 pounds.

2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

£3550!!!! Wow, thats expensive. You could do self study and it wouldnt cost you anywhere near that (probably around the £600 mark) What are you getting that warrants that price?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :D

You have to do what you feel is right, but dont dont get sucked in by those course people who say you will get a 30k a year job afterward because if you have no experience then you wont regardless of how many qualifications you have.

Like what Raffaz said get a couple of books and self study, I am currently studying for the A+ at a total cost of £65 thats for two books plus if you wanted be technical about it you could add a couple of quid a week whilst researching etc on the internet.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Mate, you can get the MCSE, CCNA, Network+ and A+ for around £3,500 with NITLC. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome. I suggest you ring the training provider and cancel and go the self study route 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I have to agree mate, if you do want to go the courses route, at least do "higher level" certs. The A+, N+ and MCDST are all entry level certs which can be obtained by a little hard work and motivation.

Think about it! :)

Oh, and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your reply, but if you're suggesting that he should do "higher level" certification courses now, that's not a good idea. First, without a solid foundation of knowledge, you won't be able to retain much, if any, of the "higher level" certification knowledge. Second, no employer will hire someone without experience based on higher-level certifications. In fact, having higher-level certifications early in your career can actually *hurt* your chances of getting the only job you'd be qualified to hold: an entry-level job.

Studying for the A+ is the best way to start, and I'd highly recommend self-study. See all the certifications in my sig? All of them were achieved through self-study and on-the-job experience. If there's any way for you to cancel, I'd urge you to do so. That money could be better spent (or saved) any number of ways. Don't buy into the hype that a bunch of certifications will get you a better IT job. It'll just give you a better chance of getting an entry-level IT job... and that's not worth spending thousands on.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

if you have only just signed the deal so to speak then there should be at least a week or so cooling off period for you to cancel In writing. With perhaps only losing a small deposit. A+ self-study as many people have said is a very good way to start,as with most of these companys like computech, you have to study at home anyway

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey and welcome to the forums.

I agree with what was mentioned. These certs are entry level and don't require you to take a special course. After all a lot of schools just give you the material and you study on your own. You could do the same by going the self study method where it would cost you a lot less and you wont be in debt or anything like that.

Also it is not very easy finding a job right after. Many employers seek their employees to have some sort of relevant experience. A lot of people depend on this factor when they make decisions about paying a lot of money into learning a new career. Be careful mooney2, we wish you good luck and hope you do well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I also think that all those particular certs are entry level, hence straight forward enough to learn through self study.

3,500 pounds is an awful lot of money to pay to someone to read to you from course books.

Why not buy the books yourself and read them yourself at your own pace and save the difference for something worthwhile?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)