Monitoring

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Alreet,

Ive been asked by work to start doing technical monitoring with our team, its to try and bridge gaps in peoples knowledge as there are a lot of people who have just started in the team.
    They want me to sit with the agents and monitor them on a call to see if they are doing all diagnostics and then if they arent ive go to bring them up to speed on what they need to be doing etc.
    Ive done one sheet for this but need to come up with another sheet, it basically needs to be some sort of checklist to cover all the diagnostics we would usually do, its basically so i can listen to a call and just tick off what the agent has done rather than write everything down.
    The amount of checks we do is massive so im not sure where im meant to start with this, has anyone had to do anything similar? Any ideas or advice would be appreciated :D

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This begs the question: if there aren't any check off sheets for the diagnostics at the moment, how can you be sure that any of the techs are going through them all?

That said, the best way would probably be to sit down with them and check off the ones they do go through and write any down that you don't have on your list (unless you know them all).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I've been asked to do something similar in a previous role, and it can take alot of effort dependant on the complexity of the call, as i'm sure you appreciate! :D

What sort of calls are they for, like general IT support?

The ones i wrote up were for monitoring agents diagnosing connection problems mainly, but also a bit of general IT support involved too. I tried to list all the important/vital checks, to ensure they were doing these - but also on another level there were area's for how much rapport the agent got with the customer, that they were speaking clearly, and not necessarily tech jargon, in case it was just a normal computer user.

I'll have a dig around, i'm sure i've got them on a flash drive somewhere, could be useful as a template for you if you wanted to take a look :)

Jack

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Raffaz

Ive been doing the job for over 3 years mate so i know all the diagnostics, its just knowing where to start as not every call is the same and the check sheet needs to cover all possibilities, bit of a nightmare really lol.

Its for broadband diagnostics mate, i dont need to worry about the rapport and all that as that is covered on a different call monitoring, this is purely for technical abilities. Like i said above, its just trying to work out where to start, the sheet needs to cover all diagnostics but i dont want it to be to general so its trying to find the right balance lol :)

5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Ahh right.

I think the ones i had were more "General'"- technical abilities that were the major part on it, but the company would rather you have a half hour chat and arrange to play golf with a customer rather than fix their bastard problem, which is why i ended up leaving them lol.

Good luck on getting them sorted anyway:thumbleft

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You could try to define standard and/or recurring problems with the most common diagnostics for them. You might then see a pattern for the types of problems that happened and the diagnostics path used to solve them in which you could then group the diagnostics.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Raffaz

Yeah, ive already done that, problem is if i included everything it would be pages and pages lol, so need to try and condense it down :)