Monitor Switchbox?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ropenfold, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi all I'm currently putting together a Network in my room to mess about on, its gonna be a real frankenstein thing with bits from ebay and other stuff, I'm hoping to use a switch box so I can change between different workstations, Has anyone used one of these and can anyone advise a good one?

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  2. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Ropen - if you get a monitor with both a dvi and vga connector you can normally switch between the two using a button on the monitor.

Of course, if you already have a monitor that does not have dual connection and have no intention of getting one, please feel free to ignore the above statement:biggrin

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Usually called a KVM switch. They seem to be somewhat variable, some are very good and some flaky, and I've never found one manufacturer to be consistant.

I have one which works fine as long as I don't use a Logitech radio keyboard/mouse combo with it. It uses a double tap on the Alt key to cause the switch to move to the next PC.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

If it's for controlling mulitple pc's with one monitor, keyboard and mouse then you need a KVM switch, or you can use remote desktop/vnc or similar.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm currently using a Claxan CL KVM-5004 on my desk now. It's pretty good, pushbutton to change pc or double tap ctrl key, connects to 4 pcs and works well as long as you use ps2 connected keyboards and mice.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Have used (and sold to customers) Belkin Omni series ok (tho they don't like wireless kb/mou) and also Lindy :

http://www.lindy.co.uk/kvm/

Hope it helps

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I use a KVM switch by starview, they are excellent. Mine has 4 inputs and you just double tap CTRL and then press the number key of the corresponding computer you want to change to, it also has a button on the switch aswell.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

D-link USB ones are good as well.

I use mine at work all day every day no problem, switching between my 2 PC's, image server & target client.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

ahahhahahhh, hoohoohohooohoh, heeeheehehehee!!! :hahaha "D-Link" and "good"... in the same sentence!! AAAAAHAAAHahahhahahaha!!!! :cheers oh... can't breathe!!! hahahaha!!!! :clap whew!!! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<Cough> If D-Link were consistently junk would they still be in business?

Just asking (as someone here often says :biggrin )

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why, yes... yes, they would. People still buy things that are crap once to "give them a try".

I can point you to several examples of this, if you'd like... 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I've used Belkin KVM switches in the past. They're not too bad, but I've never found a KVM switch to be flawless. There's always some issue that ends up being so annoying I just connect individual monitors, keyboard and mice to each computer. I've since transferred most of my "lab" work to virtual machines. That being said, if you can, it's always better to be using real machines to test stuff out, and KVMs are generally good enough for that purpose.