Monitor issue, or is it the cable, or the graphics card????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cockles, Jan 9, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

just a thought but does this graphics card have s-video out and if so do you have a lead for that? You could then connect it to your Tv (assuming you have the right leads and connections). On most cards the TV output works from the start so you could access bios and then select the onboard graphics of the mobo. On other cards the TV out only kicks in when booted to Windows anyway. Wouldnt tell you if the DVI output of the card is kaputt still though.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Another possibility is if it is a DVI-I connector then use a VGA adaptor (usualy shipped with these cards) to connect to an older analogue monitor.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would say check the DVI connector as when I first got my PC I plugged it in etc and found that its best when plugging the connector in to have one of the screws (don't think it matters which) looser than the other and it works fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Cheers for all the advice guys.

One good thing about having a slightly higher knowledge of IT than the average office user is that I don't p!ss the IT department off half as much as most people. As a result, they've lent me a DVI-D lead and an old analogue lead to take home with me to test, I've got an old monitor at home too so I can check all these things out so should be able to work out what is at fault.

Twizzle, in answer to your question, it does have a TV out, but my TV is currently a huge fat CRT number which would probably put my back out if I tried to move it. Nice idea though pal

Harry, now I think about it, I do have one of those adaptors lying around in my box of tricks D'oh!!!!!

GBL, a very interesting idea that one, I won't ask how you discovered that!

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

In my experience the cable is rarely the cause of no video signal to the monitor. I'm not saying it's impossible for it to be the cable, just unlikely.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Unless, of course, the cable was wound round through various topological improbabilities (not uncommon) and the wires were failing. :biggrin

(Been there - done that!)

Harry

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just one more thing to add, have you tried removing and then reseating your graphics card. It could have came loose. Ive seen that happen in the past.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice.

Did a bit of investigating last night, and looks like the fault lies within my digital connector on the monitor itself.

Tried the monitor on another PC that had the 15-pin analogue connector, worked perfectly.

Took the monitor back to my PC and tried a brand new DVI-D cable. Nothing

Opend up the PC, cleared the dust, swapped Molex connectors on the graphics card, double-checked it was seated correctly. Nothing, even though the graphics card was powered as the fan was going.

Then took Harry's suggestion of using the analogue connector of the monitor and using an adaptor to plug that into DVDI-D port on the grpahics card. Works perfectly!!!

So by the looks of things, either the connector on the monitor itself has gone, or for whatever reason the settings on the monitor have changed (how, I don't know) and I need to play around with them, although so far the digital/analogue display has been auto-sensing.

Very odd indeed, but back on track at least

Thanks again

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well at least we finally found the cause...I dont think it would have anything to do with the resolution...normally if that was the issue you would be able to see the screen boot up then go blank just before it got onto Windows. Seems like the actual port itself is knackered...Im guessing from what u have said that the monitor has one DVI port and no VGA, hence u using the adapter?

At least its working now :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Top of the morning fella

The monitor has both a DVI and an analogue port, it's the card that has DVI only, so from that I gathered the card is working fine as it's the same port I've used all along.

One odd thing, when I tried the new DVI cable last night, the screen kept flashing up 'No Analogue Signal', it never did that before.

Anyhow, it's back and running, just need to decipher whether it is actually worth sending the monitor back as I think it's still under warranty.

11. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

I'd send it back personally. I know its a pain but you might as well make use of the warranty as you never know, if the DVI connection has already gone you can bet your life that the analouge connection will go the day after the warranty runs out:rolleyes:

The other aspect I suppose is that if they cannot fix the monitor, they will replace it :D Just depends how long you can live without ur TFT

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  12. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

A very good point, I can live without TFT no problem, it's whether I can lay my hands on a spare monitor in the meantime. When my screen went the other night, I was amazed at how much I relied on my PC for entertainment, as it is my all in one games platform, stereo, DVD player and work station. I had to result to watching TV, I felt violated. :biggrin

13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

What make of monitor is it?

I recently had one that had soem stuck pixels so i sent it back due to that. Unfortunatley i'd bought it from Scan and as i'd had it over 15 days they didnt wanit returned to them but it had to go back to the manufacturer (i'd only had it 25days it was a gift for my son and hadnt been used until then). So i contacted Viewsonic to send it back. And that turned out to be a big mess!
    They collected my monitor, and sent me a replecement 2 weeks later after i badgered them a lot. The replacement was a recon job so i called viewsonic again and compalined that i had returned a brand new monitor and expected a brand new replacement. They apologise but said they didnt have my model in stock! Another 2 weeks went by still no new monitor. Another dozen phone calls and eventually they said they'd send a repalcement again. 2 days later a courier turned up to collect the reocn monitor but not deleiver a new one. I refused to let him have that as i hadnt anything else to use. Called Viewsonic again, they said my new one was on the way and the courier would bring the new one and take away the recon one. That finally happened a week later!! Over 2 months had nearly passed and it was all due to a balls up from Viewsonic!
    Now while i like thier monitors thier customer service sucks.

Heres hoping whoever yours is is a lot better and a replacement comes quickly!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  14. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Jeez, that is a proper pain in the 'arrables!!!!!

Mine is a Hyundai, bought it from N0vatech, who so far have been very good to me. I'm still under warranty so should be ok to send back. As TimoftheC pointed out earlier, if one thing has gone wrong, there's no stopping other things going belly-up

Cheers dude