monitor acting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uuurrradawggg, Jan 18, 2005.

1. uuurrradawggg

uuurrradawggg New Member

hi everyone...wondering if anyone could tell me what causes my monitor to go black...i start up windows & everything looks ok then monitor goes black on me ....its happening more frequently now. If i hit reset button sometimes it works sometimes not

EDIT(J): Moved to H/W Forum

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

sounds like it may be a graphics card issue. if you can get your hands on another monitor for a while, run it with that one to check that its not the monitor itself. if you're sure it isnt, then buy a cheap 30 quid graphics card and test it with that. if it works then you have ure culprit and can go about spending the copious amounts of money on a decent graphics card (if thats what your into).

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Agree with Fergal, try and borrow another monitor or take it to a friends that house and try it on their monitor.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Fergal and Si (just to jump on the bandwagon). Standard troubleshooting procedure is to test a potentially bad component with a known good one. So in this case, swap out the monitor first and then the video card. For giggles, you can also try swapping out the power cable to the monitor just to see if there's a short in it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+