Money doesn't buy you happiness

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by noelg24, May 16, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... being a tech in a small company will expose you to all levels of support. Where I was at Tennessee Orthopaedic as a Senior Network Engineer, I got to do everything from advanced router administration to printer repair.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well Noel sometimes stuff like this happens - and it is good coz you can see the forest for the trees.

In light of you being dismissed from your last role...all I would politely suggest is that you :

1. Make the best of the current role - by studying up for certs when you can...

2. Make damm sure that you have something solid and for a few years when you leave your current role. As the term "dismissed" from a recent previous role is all that some HR droid will use down the track to NOT progress your CV further..the swines.

3. If there is senior tech or roles currently in this place, and they will pay for training, then drop un-solicited CV in at HR asking to be considered for "future more senior roles" - lets YOU set the agenda...

Patience - Padawan - Patience...all will happen in good time :biggrin

Well I have spare day at work today - so I am out of here and my site to study up......... under full pay no-less!! :biggrin 8)

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  3. Tartanbill

Tartanbill Bit Poster

Setting up and installing a server is one thing but knowing what to do with it is another thing entirely.

I'm doing the same sort of job that you have (based on another thread) just left and again, it's in the finance sector and whilst initially I found it boring, I have learned a great deal about Active Directory, Group Policy, domains, user permissions plus not to mention that financial services is an extremely disciplined sector and you have no know about regulatory issues from the FSA, Sarbanes Oxley, compliance, all sorts of issues that you would never even dream of thinking about on your first day.

This isn't what I want to do long term but in my time here i've learned so much that I never thought I would learn and since it's already been pointed out, you do progress onto other thing in time; for example i'm now involved in running the multi-site Exchange infrastructure here and given that it's a financial environment, experience doesn't really get much better than that :)