mock question... i disagree with

Discussion in 'A+' started by shadowwebs, Apr 16, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have just taken a mock test and the below question came up, I can't help but disagree though, what are your thoughts?

I selected the answer as A, as SATA is faster than PATA, and as the question states "which of the following options would improve the performance of the system?" then surely SATA is going to trump over PATA for transfer rates on the bus.

******Braindump material removed******

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
    Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. shadowwebs

oh and heres another one that says "Select Two" but really I think there could be 3 answers available.

------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
    Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Low on toner is different to out of toner. You will still be able to print when low on toner.
    The first question is poor though.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

A is definitely right on the first one, unless there is some context. Check is there is a page of errata on the publisher's website.

Soundian's advice is spot on with the other question, it's a poorly worded question though. When it says select two, you always select the most obvious two. Found that in a few other exams.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Seems like a poorly worded question. Is there an explanation as to why the answer is D?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Looks like they have put the SATA and PATA in the wrong place

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Which site produced these mock exams?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I would go with PATA rather than SATA because you don't know if the motherboard has a SATA connection on it whereas PATA is essentially an improvement on EIDE.

Unless told specifically that you must not assume anything where exams are concerned.

As to the second question, being low on toner will never stop a device from printing so only the two answers already mentioned would be correct.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I though PATA was a generic description for ATA technologies, of which EIDE is a subset.
    If that's not the case and PATA>EIDE: there are two correct answers.

I suspect this is an old question that has had the answers updated, but not the correct answer.

Even the printer one isn't that great as a question. Where did I initiate the ping, from my machine or the users machine? If it was my machine then perhaps answer A is correct because it doesn't specify which network cable, the user's or the printer's.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. shadowwebs

The document was one sent to me by a friend that she received some time ago, she actually paid for it in fact, I am glad that I didn't... I can find out the company name if you want me to.

I have just booked my exam for next Monday, 23rd April... I did 100 questions last night and came out with 92 correct, so hopefully that's enough to be fine on the day

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

It just looks awfully like a braindump to me. A quick google on one of the question texts revealed sites which are self-confessed "proxy" sites.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

A quick google for me shows they're both on pro-profs.

13. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Can you PM me the link please Fergal as all I can find is the same as soundian and a couple of other legit sites. Cheers. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  14. shadowwebs

hey everyone, noticed that the questions were removed from my post... turns out that I didn't know what brain dump information was, I have had a look on Google and am to be fair quite shocked that this information is out there.

I will be staying away from all this information, as i want to pass the a+ fairly and honestly, without using the braindump idea of cheating your way through.

If you want my advice people otu there, stay away from brain dumps

SiFor likes this.
  15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

There are two types of braindumps. There are braindumps which actually are braindumps, and there are braindumps which are the illegal reselling/sharing of copyright material. Certguard seems to make no distinction between the two, and neither they should.
    I'm guessing that what you got was in the latter category, if the first question was a real exam question then CompTIA have ar5ed up by allowing it thorough whatever vetting procedure they may, or may not, have.

But yeah, stay safe and steer away from both types.