Mock Exams Recommendations

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by TechArrayITS, Apr 30, 2015.

1. TechArrayITS

TechArrayITS New Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section, I've only just signed up so was unsure where is best.

Basically myself (IT Engineers for 10+ years) and my missus are both taking some IT exams in the upcoming months. I know the bad press on braindumps and just to be clear and avoid any arguments I absolutely agree with the bad ethics of passing exams this way (especially from my past experience of how hard Microsoft are making their exams off the back of cheaters). However I do like studying by using Mock Exams and having to explanation on answers I get wrong, also as this is the first exam my missus is taking I want her to be prepared for the way questions are worded and not to get caught out by trick/strangely worded questions.

I've been looking for good mock exam sites that will have mock exams for a range exams and software to emulate the exam environment, etc. but all I can find are either PDF downloads which I'm not a massive fan of or braindumps which I don't really want to touch.

Anyone use any sites like this or have any advise?

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I am not aware of anything that's likely to fall in to the non-brain dump area, my best advice would be trying to find study guides instead, as an example in my field (VMware Technologies) there are a huge amount of guides out there that take you through the blueprint requirements and can be used to study for the information required to pass the exam.

I would also probably look toward YouTube as an alternative for specific subject matter, a short 5 minute video to describe something visually is usually (in my opnion) an easier take on than reading about it in a book or whitepaper.

Sorry I can't offer more advice but this is the way I do it myself and it does work.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. TechArrayITS

TechArrayITS New Member

Hey SimonD,

Yeah I love my training videos esp with two monitors if you have the video itself on one monitor and follow the video on the other it is a great way to learn. I actually pay for CBTnuggets and have done for some time helped me through some exams as well as some Greenfield projects where I've touched on unfamiliar technology (e.g. Linux :) )...

I just find it odd that you get good mock tests in the study guides and exam cram books, etc. but no one has taken those mock tests and digitized them. I have books where at the end of the chapter you get 30 questions or so, I just want all 300/400 questions shoved in a little application to go over once a week and then re-study any section I get wrong until I'm getting 95/100%...

Maybe a gap in the market non-braindump mock exam applications :)

Thanks

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The problem with that is that the questions in the back of books are copyrighted material and getting permission from the copyright holder just may be a little harder than people think.

I agree it would be nice to try and use something to test you against but that's why you have the likes of Boson, SelfTest Software and Transcender out there who all offer test exam emulators with questions similar to the exams.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. TechArrayITS

TechArrayITS New Member

Hi SimonD,

Absolutely I was just looking at Boson and Transcender... Boson looks good except for the website which looks like it was designed in the early 90's :), Transcender I used their videos a few times but the price of the Mock Exams is crazy $139 per exam for my missus A+ so $278 for both... Then add my exams on got two coming up same sort of price talking around $550 just for mock exams... I was hoping to pay $200 for a years unlimited subscription haha....

I'm just looking at certexams . com which seem to be quite good and fairly responsible about $29 per exam for A+...

I'll take a look at SelfTest as you mentioned as I haven't heard of them...

Thanks

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm similar, I like testing engines but as I like a bargain I usually hunt around Boson, Transcenter and Mearsureup to see if there's any offers on. If there isn't I'll give it a miss, but I am a fan of legit testing engines. Often you can expose where you're weak on before wasting money on an exam.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs