Mock Exam Question....

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Luddym, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys, just reviewing the questions from my transcender last night, and found this particular question frustrating. (Not the exact question, but my own version of it.)

Your company wants to enforce a policy in which users cannot change their desktop environment. Each time the user logs on, it must be the same. Whenever the user logs off, changes must be discarded. How do you enoforce this...

There were two answers to do with renaming ntuser.dat to ntuser.man, so thought I knew the answer. But.... the actual answer was to keep ntuser.dat, and configure the default GPO to reflect that no changes should be saved to the user profile. :blink

Confusseeeeedddddd dot com!

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

gpo would be my answer as well. keep in mind that nowhere in the question does it mention anything about roaming profiles. so you're dealing with x number of locally stored profiles on y number of workstations. gpo is easier to manage.

3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Cheers D.

I think my GPO knowledge is very weak. (At least i know now.) :-)

Plus, I dont think it helps that everywhere you look, the most obvious solution for mandatory profiles is ntuser.man .

:D

Cheers D, now I know I need to bone up, and I'm not just going mad. :onthePC

4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

another clue is in the question in that it says

Derek

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Uhm..... the actual question didn't use that wording, Or that word.... that was my own particular take on it. :-) Freud would have a field day on my wordings. :biggrin

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is why so many people benefit from using a product like Transcender. Not only are they very good at highlighting your weak areas and giving excellent links to further reading on the topics but more than that, they give you an insight into how Microsoft think when they write their tricky questions.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

yep, i would have gone for dat to .man,

why have GPOs but not bother to use profiles!!

dc

8. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

changing the profile to a mandatory one will do the trick but as the others have said a GPO will be easier to manage.

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  9. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Definately casablanca.

But I think what got me was that in all the literature I have read, nothing was ever said about the fact it could be done in a GPO. I think that's what threw me completely, especially when there were answers that used the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man method.

Transcender.... may well be the lifesaver I need.