Mobo Brand - Top 5?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tegal, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

Wouldn't that be a legal issue under the sale of goods act because the motherboard sold was not "fit for purpose" by not doing exactly what it was advertised to do?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No you will find that some destop pc motherboards have voltage issues when all four Dimm slots are filled, this also goes for some desktop i7 rigs with tri channel setups, occasionally you have to fiddle with the voltage to get it stable and this before you start overclocking or anything.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It did support 8GB, just not with typical ram. So technically it was as 'advertised'. I reckon I could have sent it back, but it was a barebones system, so it would have meant sending almost the whole system back, and it was just too much hassle.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

If you had to query the manufacturer then that suggests that they didn’t make it clear before purchase that the advertised specifications wouldn’t be compatible with “typical RAM”, but if it’s all worked out now then I guess there’s no need to get Anne Robinson to investigate them 8)

Are the motherboards that have these issues from "budget ranges"?

I guess having to fine tune configurations if you are overclocking could be acceptable because most manufacturers do not actively encourage it but if, as a selling point, a motherboard is specified to support 8GB but does not, then the manufacturers are guilty of false advertising.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

nope, I have heard Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI and basically just about any of the other brands have this issue.

The worst boards are the Intel and nvidia boards

Because you are running dual channel or even tri channel in the case of i7 and i5 rigs it is better to have the matching slots filled and not all of them i.e it is better to buy 2x2GB dimms instead of 4x1GB dimms. With the case of tri channel memory these are getting better now but some still have issues with the x58 chipset and voltages this is due to QPI and voltages and this isn't to do with overclocking yet.

I know a few people with i7 rigs and have built a few myself, on most motherboards you leave the voltages and settings in the bios on auto I have found that it is better to change the voltage for the ram manually to the manufacturers voltage requirements to avoid any instability.

When overclocking either with ddr2 and ddr3 the above happens anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?