Mobile phone reviews

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by j1mgg, Mar 4, 2010.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I currently have the nokia n97 and it is good. Just been messing about with an iphone as they are being rolled out to certain grades in our firm andi am pretty impressed.

Just looking for honest reviews on the phone you have

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've got the older Nokia N95 and despite some early teething problems its served me pretty well, I heard variable reports on the N97, spoke to one guy who works in a phone shop and he said the N97 was suffering about 80/90% returns due to problems.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

iPhone - I have had the iphone since September, I have to be honest and say it's great, I am not a classic fanboi but I really do like it. There are obviously some bits I am not too keen on (the walled garden approach) however by and large the device is definitely a keeper (infact I will get the new one when it ships later this year (no details known yet)).

I have the 16gb version, it's currently got 4gb free, has loads of apps and pdf's (MS Press books mainly). It's fast and the battery isn't too bad (I commute 4 hours a day and about an hour of that is on the underground with no signal).

There are a number of decent apps out there to help IT related people (I have a server app that lists all the details of my servers), some really great games and various gps apps.

o2 XDA (HTC TYTN 2). This was my previous phone, it's still in use as my company phone and in all honesty it's another work horse, based on Windows Mobile 6 it's another phone that acts as a pda and phone. Essentially it's Windows on the phone.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

My mate works for Orange and said the same thing i recently brought a mini N97 broke within 3 days got a new one though and they even gave me a free spare phone (nothing flash) in case it breaks again.

I do like the phone though nice to use and the apps aint bad.

Certifications: A few.
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

yeh Nokia even came out themselves and said the n97 wasn't up to standard

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

the droid the nexus one and some of the motorolla android phones will be worth a look this year, also theres a new iphone coming out this year snapdragon processor the works

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+
  7. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Had an N95 and it was great until i decided to give android a shot. Got a G1 to test the waters and we're inseparable now I run one of the older cyanogen roms. I've tried others but like the feel of Cyanogens

We have a motorola droid in our loan pool. Its known as the Milestone here. It doesn't feel as snappy as other droids I've played with which is a shame. We also have several Iphones. Principally because we needed to demo our mobile sites and also as we have an app for android and Iphone. Very snappy and smooth devices but crap camera. Gps is quick though compared to my other devices.

Iphones a great device. I love it but I enjoy the freedom I have with my droid much more. I'm not much of a music person as well.

We also have BES so I have a Blackberry Bold 9000. Great for my work email though screen size and browser feels limited. Gps isnt as fast as the iphone or the droid but It did save my skin the last time I was in Naples. (I get free international data so used it instead of my regular handset. Craziest street layouts I've ever encountered!! My colleague swears the Berrys beat all other devices hands down though! He hasn't really played with the others and his main phone is an old k800i so he's not exactly well placed to comment. Least techie techie I know.

I'm looking to get a Hero at some point but really only because the camera on the G1 is crap. Really I'll go for whichever droid has the best camera or the best development. Hmm maybe a Nexus one will come my way. Who knows

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  8. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I have an Android phone, Hero. If the camera is very important to you, I'd avoid buying a Hero. Expect to charge the phone every night. Android 2.1 is suppose to come out soon for Hero. Other than that, it's a very good phone. Not a massive difference between G1 and Hero(G2). I'd get the HTC Desire to be honest if I was looking for another Android phone.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010