MMS-How do i move my settings to another Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by epsilon20, Aug 18, 2006.

1. epsilon20

epsilon20 New Member

Hi Guys i was using my laptop to run server 2003 while practising and studying for my 70-290 exam.i just got a second-hand server and would like to move all the setting i made on my laptop ONTO this new server with as little complication as possible. i have not installed anything on the new server yet so there is no Operating system.

How would i go about this at the moment i remember something about multiple maste replication on server and would liek to try this but dont know the correct procedure.I also think norton ghost might work but would prefer to try the -"proffesional way"

Any tips on how to do this- i dont like the idea of going through all the practicals i did in previos chapters in my book:confused3

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I don't know how imaging software would handle server, although Acronis Image 9 does a very good job of <imaging> XP and seems to <ride> hardware changes.

Let us know how you get on.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. epsilon20

epsilon20 New Member

Thanks for the info-i forgot that the hardware will be different on the new server i guess that method has big flaws.

ill stick to the server 2003 set methods of replicating the settings if anyone can advice me on the procedure.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

that all depends on what the server was set-up for. Personally, if your server is like mine (purely for learning) it won't have any data on it and would just nuke it and start over fresh.

Edit;

You can use set-up manger if it will help.
    Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. epsilon20

epsilon20 New Member

i was also just using server 2003 for learning purposes on my laptop.i just got a new server today and would want all the setting i made on the latop like:
    user accounts
    DHCP server
    File server
    Permisions etc

-to be moved to the new server so i that i dont repeat everything i did on the laptop.After this i plan to remove server from my laptop and use it a XP client so that i can use both as my LAB.ive never used set up mamager how do i do this?

6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Ugh. Imaging apps are great for the army of identical workstations and lappies, and maybe even for the rack full of identical Dells -- for pumping out general Server installations. However, this is where it should end. Especially when it comes to specifics, particularly concerning server data and functionality. They have tools for this -- and it ain't Ghost or Acronis. To me, that's an invite for trouble.

Instead, use the ADMT and USMT, both tools for migrating AD and user data for both Server OSs and workstations.

For DHCP migrations, look here -- How to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 to a computer that is running Windows Server 2003

For things such as DNS, well, if you're in AD, that's handled for you, especially if you introduce the second machine as an incoming DC.

While it's very handy to know the migration tools and techniques, it's also great practice to know the initial installation and setup procedures for a server OS. When I was studying for my MCSE, I'd rebuild servers at least once a week, especially when I ran into things I couldn't rectify -- and don't think that never happened. Sure, I tried to fix everything, but taking down a server and re-introducing another can be good experience as well.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  7. epsilon20

epsilon20 New Member

Thanks for all this information im trying to read up on the procedures on how to use these tools.