MMC snap-in frustration: managing a pc remotely

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by csh, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, can you ping the PC by IP and name from the server. Also can you ping the server by IP and name from the PC?

Edit:
    Can you also switch off simple file sharing?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. csh

csh Bit Poster

That was the answer. You rock!!!!!
    Two more things: this works if I open the console with run as... If I try to add a snap-in and give the remote IP address I want to manage I get the login prompt but then I receive an access denied error. Is this normal?

Is it possible to manage a remote system through a mmc snap-in even if the users are not part of the same groups? (say the user on the server belongs to administrators only and the other one to administrators and users)

Certifications: Linux+, Network+, A+
    WIP: 70-290
  3. Sparky

Glad things are sorted now mate. :biggrin

When you are prompted for authentication what format do you type the username? You may want to type it in the format SERVERNAME\administrator (if you are connecting from the PC) and key in the password as well.

I have to do to this in some cases when I connect to a domain that my laptop is not a member of. If I type in the username as ‘administrator’ I assume that the credentials being used are the local admin credentials of my laptop when it should be the domain admin account of the domain I am connecting to. Therefore the username would be <domain>\administrator and the correct password.

You should find this easier when you move into a domain style network topology. If you logged on as domain admin on the server you would be able to connect to the PC as the domain admin account would have permissions to do this and you don’t have to look at local groups on the PC (unless they have been edited from the default values)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. csh

csh Bit Poster

Even if I enter the user's full it tells me that the user name or password is incorrect. Seems like it will only work by running as a user with credentials on the remote system.

I'm glad that I've found the solution here, otherwise I would have quit learning for this and lose my job :biggrin
    This forum rocks!

Oh, basically the book I'm learning from is pretty ambiguous. It tells me to add an exception for remote connections in the remote system's local policy but doesn't help. What it doesn't tell is that I have to add the exception to windows firewall and disable simple file sharing.

If that's how I'm going to learn from this book then I'll have hard times ahead of me :blink

5. Sparky

Which book are you using mate and if it is the MS Press book which edition? If it is the first edition then there may be no mention of Windows Firewall as this was bundled with SP2 on XP. (although there was a basic one before this)

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

He's already mentioned which edition in this post:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=175915&postcount=12

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's not always a good idea to learn from a single book. MS press books can be good, but they can also be bad. Also just because they are published by MS doesn't mean they are always 100&#37; correct in what they say.

Sybex books are usually a good alternative to the MS press ones.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. csh

csh Bit Poster

They're pretty unreliable. I think I'll have to rely on you guys to get through this book.
    I've ran into ExamCram2's book about 70-290 and found it to be even worse.

This one seems to be well written but either assumes that you have to be an expert already or assumes that you can figure stuff by your own.

9. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

damn you sparky, i was reading through the posts making sure none had said this so i could light up the world with that answer!!!!.

anytime the username field is greyed with guest auto inserted its down to simple file sharing. good on ye mate

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE