Mitch wrote: IT courses, yes or no ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jakamoko, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Error by Mod (J) whilst moving New Member Mitch's post:

Looking for some advise.
    I am thinking of getting into the IT industry but don't which route to take.
    Experience wise I guess I'd be classed as a beginner, hence I know jack about which qualifications are needed.
    I have contacted NITLC & Scheidegger to see what courses are available. They both have set courses that claim to give you all the qualifications you need to work in certain IT roles, which is handy as I wouldn't know which qualifications are needed for each role. I have seen they're reps who both slated each other badly.
    Does anyone know if either of these companies are any good & also if anyone has any suggestions/alternative's to these companies or this route.
    Any help appreciated

Mod Edit: Moved to Training & Development Forum.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Why do you want to get into the IT industry :?:

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hi Mitch,

Before you even start to think about which provider to go with, you need to have an idea for what area of IT you want to develop.

Do you enjoy repairs / upgrades, tinkering with PCs, etc, or are you more interested in programming, or web design ?

Once you have an idea of what interests you, then let us know, and we'll give you as much guidance as we can.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Mitch. Sounds like your initial entry into Certforums had a few bumps...or at least one technical error. Welcome. I agree with the consensus. Tell us a little about why you are attracted to this industry and what particular part of it seems most interesting to you. We'd love to hear about it. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. mitch

mitch New Member

Hello there. Sorry my replies taken a while. I've appear to have had a number of replies asking why IT etc.
    Well I'm looking at It because I've always enjoyed playing round with computers dating back to the old spec 48's.
    Had recently bought a pc after being without for a number of years, wanting a career change & to increase earning potential.
    As for the area of IT I'm looking at, well Possably programming or web programming, or even engineering, trying to work it out at the moment.
    Was origionaly looking at programming, but the scheidegger rep(who I'm not sure if I trust) seem to think that the demand at the moment is for engineers & thats where the money is.
    In fairness I've always been one of those people who likes to know how things work, to the point of taking things apart(not that, that does much good these days), at the same time I am swaying towards programming as I'm a very head strong problem solver & again want to now how it all works, programmes that is.
    Sorry if this reply ends up in the wrong place, but I'm still trying to get used to the forum.
    cheers all

6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi

This will have to be short as I am about to go out.

I must make the comment that you currently going to make far more money as a plummer than in IT :!:

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Of course that doesn't mean that Sandy is chucking his beloved servers out the window in favor of a plumbers wrench. :D
    One thing I'd like to mention is to not take a job (or make a career choice) based solely on the money. First off, you'll be much happier and much more productive at a job you really like and are suited for than one that you think is "ok" but promises to pay more. Also, things change. Maybe engineers are more in demand today than programmers but in a year or five years, programmers could be the really hot item. I'm not saying that you shouldn't pursue engineering if that's what you really want, just consider your long-term goals, your talents, and your personality. Where will you really fit in?

BTW, welcome back Mitch. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. mitch

mitch New Member

I understand what you are saying & my decision is not based purley on the money aspect.
    As for being a plumber, I'm useless with a road map, I've been in a similar line of work before.
    I'm not planning on making any hasty decisions based on earning potential, just trying to get a bit a bit more info on an idea I've been bouncing round for a quite a few years.
    Do you have any advise regarding these companies providing training courses.

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Ignore that, it doesn't matter a hoot.

Like you mitch, I'm interested in programming, because I like to be in as much control as possible, and I'm also very creative, logical, like to work alone and think a lot.

I'm on a course at the moment, doing Windows 2000 MCSE.It's been up and down, I keep plodding on, but I know I don't have the desire I should.

Basically I jumped into the course, eager to get on.I virtually ignored the fact that I would like it or not.Hmmm just a minor point eh, :oops:

The fact is, if you train in a field which you are absolutely passionate about, and can't suck up the information quick enough, then it shouldn't matter who you go with.As long as you get a few INDEPENDANT opinions, which are positive, then make your decision.
    Even going it alone would be best, especially with programming.Go and download the J2, download the Documentation (all for free), plus the zillions of Java tutorials on the net (for free) and the masses of forums JavaRanch is a good Java forum.

Or learn, Pearl, Python, Html, Htmlx, Pascal, and so on for the cost of a few quid on books.