1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing A Record when installing DNS on standalone

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by derkit, Aug 26, 2011.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Just practicing setting up a DNS, DHCP and AD server - and I've decided to install each component separately, and started with DNS.

After installing it and setting up forward and reverse zones, it seems to be missing an A record for it to work and I haven't come across any instructions for explaining why this is as all online suggest that this isn't a needed step. It has an SOA and NS pointing to itself (called dc1) but no A record.

Installing it AD first, obviously it also installs DNS but the A record is included - can anyone shed any light?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Hmmm, as an update - I've changed the name of the zone to my dns suffix - must be something in that - will have to look into the naming of my zone and how that reflects over the weekend.

Nothing added in the reverse lookup zone though?!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293