Misleading job titles

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by reverb, Jul 10, 2011.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Hey all,

Might sound silly but can a misleading job title have an adverse affect in future applications? Say you had the job title of system admin but do not necessarily do the same tasks as your big company counterpart as you're less exposured (or none at all) to the latest technology; will this look funny if you drop a few rungs down the ladder? How well will this look to future employers?
    eg . From sys admin (small company) to 2nd/3rd line (big company)

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Job titles don't mean too much tbh....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I agree with Sparky.

When I started the job I currently do I was a Support and Development Officer, I was then effectively down graded to a Support Officer, even though my job remained the same. Currently I have changed job title again, and I am now simply an Engineer, although the job that I do is that of a Network Manager, although I am oftern refered to as a 'Technician'.

I gave up telling people what my job title is and simply now say IT Support. :biggrin

Its the bits between the jobs and titles that matter.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

lol same.

People would ask, and i'd say "IT Infrastructure Analyst" to which they'd have no idea - then "IT Analyst" - then "IT Support" - then "Basically i fix computers and ****"

I give up, and just say the latter now :mrgreen:

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's a load of nonsense really. I think it's a US thing where job titles just got bigger and bigger. We ended up with 'Vice-President of Operational Consumables' which just meant someone who ordered the stationery. Companies like Microsoft are some of the worst offenders with job titles taking up a whole sentence 'Manager, Worldwide Partner Engagement Program and Learning Solutions Evangelist' would be typical. :blink

Sales roles seem to be the worst 'account executive', 'business development manager', 'director of asset realisation' - all just means 'salesman'.

Generally, whatever you call yourself, a quick glance at your job description or achievements on your CV will tell people all they need to know about what you actually did.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD