Minimum time to stay in an entry level job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, May 12, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Whats the minimum time to stay in an entry level I.T job?

My situation is:

It is a permanent job, has no scope for progression / salarly increase (flat hierachial structure), have learnt most the skills in the job, been there for about5 months... time to dust of the cv again?

???

FatP :dry

2. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

I would say there isn't a set time to stay in an entry level Job it differs from person to person.

Personally I stayed for 6 months, fired out my CV to several places and left not long after

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I stayed in my entry level job for 2 1/2 years, because it was an easy job, ZERO stress and NICE pay. Then I went to work one day and couldn't believe how bored I was.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There really is no minimum time. However, a prospective employer's gonna wonder why you're leaving your job after only 5 months. Just put yourself in the employer's shoes: if you were interviewing someone for a position, wouldn't you wonder?

I left my first IT job after 6 or 7 months... but my situation was somewhat different. I was working as a field service tech, and one of our clients needed a full-time tech. They liked the hourly-rate work I had done for them, so they asked my employer if they could hire me as a systems administrator.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!