minimum expenditure for self training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by thetokyoproject, Apr 18, 2007.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

studying for exams can be expensive.

ok, just wanted to ask if only purchasing the below 3 items is realistic for passing:

for a typical mcp:

1x MS press book
    1x Exam cram book
    1x transcender

plus, virtual pc and a lot of hard work

cheers.

Certifications: 271
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That largely depends on you. :) Some people need no training materials. Others need a bunch. Everyone's level of experience and ability to soak up knowledge is different.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Why buy Virtual PC when you can get VMWare for nowt? Most people will tell you that VMWare is better as well.

Other than that, personally, I think the Exam Cram series of books are pretty cruddy, but thats just my (not so) humble opinion. I'd look at supplementing the MOC by buying one of the other books aimed at the exam you're sitting - they might cost forty odd quid, but that will more than pay for itself if it ends up getting you a pass first time round and not having to resit :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. thetokyoproject

i thought virtual pc was free?

what's moc btw?

5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Microsoft Official Curriculum

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I have the exam cram for windows xp and its not that good, I passed the exam just from using xp so much the book didnt help much, but like Michael said for others in might be a perfect solution because people learn in different ways.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Virtual PC is free, see here. As for which is better, that is down to person preference.

There really is no "typical" mcp exam. Each exam measures different objectives, so what may work for one exam may not work on another. Really the only constants are:

1. At least 2 different books
    2. Mock exams (eg transcender)
    3. CBT (Learnkey, testout, etc)
    4. ALot of experience :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. thetokyoproject

thanks guys.

i'll just have to pop down to the local book shop to see which couple of books help me understand and retain the material.

another question.

if you do just narrowly fail, does the exam tell you how much you were short by and is there a breakdown of what topics you did badly on - also is this avaialble as a print out from the exam centre?

Cheers.

9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Every MS exam passing score is 700, the score report sheet will tell you your final score, regardless if pass or fail. The MS report sheet will show you how strong or weak you are in the area's you've been tested on via a bar graph. You will get a printed score report sheet per exam you take (beta's are different as the scores will be sent to you a couple of days before the final exam is released to the public)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, you get a print out at the end of the exam. Gives you a breakdown of your exam and is worth holding onto until your certificate arrives in the post.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

More or less. The exam is divided in a number of subjects (for XP it is 7). For each subject you get a bar graph indicating if you are strong or weak for that part. The problm is that is does not tell you that much. If the bar indicates 50%, it means you fail half the questions on that subject. If you only had 2 questions, you missed one and you want fail the exam on one question. If you got 20 questions, you missed 10 and you will fail on ten.
    I saw a guy who scored 1000 points and had one bar empty.
    Apperently he had no questions on that topic.

You will get a print out from the exam centre.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  12. nicklan

nicklan New Member

This helped me very much. The interactive software is your choice whoever you want to go with. They're all good.

1. MS Press book
    2. Either CBT Nuggets/Trainsignal/Testout/Learnkey
    3. Practice Exams

Optional:
    Sybex, Exam Cram

Certifications: MCSE 2003 Security, CCNA
    WIP: CWNA