Minimum computer specifications for home network practice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ozguy, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Ozguy

Ozguy New Member

Hey guys,

Just joined this site after following it for a couple of weeks. It's been very helpful.

I'm at the very start of studying for MCP and am wanting to build a small home network to learn as I go. I've seen plenty of cheap PC's on Ebay and wanted to get some advice over the minimum specs I would need to operate a network using Windows Server 2003 / CCNA / Cisco / MCSE / MCDST. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

I was thinking a 2GB processor and 1/2GB Ram could be a good starting place. Would less do the trick?

Thanks.

2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

That spec should be fine to run XP or server 2003. What MCP are you doing?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

you could run a network on a pc/server using server 2003 minimum spec

if you're planning on creating a network you'll need more than one machine

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. Ozguy

Ozguy New Member

Thanks for your responses.

I'm planning on starting with the MCDST then moving on to MCSA/MCSE and CCNA courses, all using Windows Server 2003.

What's a good number of pc's to start with? 2 or 3? Also, I've read others on this forum talking about VMWare and Virtual Networks. I have been given VMWare 6 though not sure if that means I can make a virtual network all on the one pc or I need another pc as well. Thoughts?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it'll work as virtual network but you'll probably need to up your ram.

MY pc has a virtual network on it. I am running server 2003 with 3 copies of xp pro. works like a treat.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

If your going to be using virtual machines, I'd consider upping the RAM, as each virtual machine will get a chunk of that. If you want to go down the virtual machine route, Virtual PC from microsoft is free, and apparently pretty good.

I'm running a Mac with 2GB RAM, and a 2Ghz processor, with VMware, and I can comfortably run two instances of Server 2003 as DC's, and an XP client. I've been told by a collegues that uses a similar spec Mac, running Vista, can handle the same setup with Virtual PC.

Hope this helps

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep I am running vpc on mine but am going to go to vmware at some point so I can compare it to vpc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?