Mini Home Project - advice needed

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Dave_unemployed, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Dave_unemployed

Dave_unemployed Nibble Poster

Hi guys, looking for some advice on how setup a virtual project of mine.

I would like to setup and install the following software:

Windows Server 2008 R2
    Windows 7 x2
    Exchange Server 2010
    Sharepoint Server 2010
    SQL Server 2008 R2

At this moment i am complete clueless on how to install and configure Exchange, Sharepoint and SQL. But its a good challenge for me.

What i would like to know is if you have the option, how would you set up the virtual network.

Getting the software is no problem (or any other required software) as i have technet subscription.

Hardware for the virtual network is also no problem.

Dave

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP and MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Install virtual pc
    set up virtual hard drive
    download server 2003 enterprise 6 month trial from microsoft or technet and install
    configure dc
    install xp pro worstations from ms press books after creating more virtual hard drives.

bobs your unckle you have a virtual network.,

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Dave_unemployed

i just did exactly that but with windows 7. Got it to join the domain so all looking good so far.

Trying to install exchange server 2010 but having no luck. Says need a OS so i take it i have to install exchange ontop of server 2008?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Correct, it's a server application, not a server OS.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

SQL Server, Exchange, Sharepoint are all applications that run on Windows. The server naming is just marketing and also clarifies the part they play in the traditional client-server model.

The apps are comprised of exes, dlls, services, data files etc as normal.

You could run em all on one server but it would tend to be a bad idea in the real world. So you could create three server VM's or just one and turn on and off the services as you please. In a small home lab most of the time they will be sitting there doing nothing anyway.

If you wanna learn the admin stuff you'll need a decent virtual network with more machines as you'll want to test clustering, replication and failover etc.

If you really want to get into sharepoint or sql dev you probably want a native install. SQL Express can install on any windows. You can install developer and standard SQL Server on professional client versions of windows. The other apps require a Server OS, again this is largely marketing and licensing.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  6. Dave_unemployed

Definitly want to try some admin of these applications. Especially exchange.

So i need four windows server 2008. Do i need to install AD on all four?

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Or you could try out small business server (sbs) 2008, pretty sure that there's a r2 release.

Small businesses would use this to save money, plus it includes SQL, exchange, etc... What you're looking at.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No, you will need a 64bit OS for Exchange 2010 as well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I think SharePoint 2010 is 64bit only too.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure