Million Dollar Questions

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Stuart, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Being a newby, I suppose I just want to know what qualifications will give me the best chance of getting a job in IT. Im currently unemployed and am prepared to volunteer whenever possible as well as looking for an unskilled job to tide me over. I dont want to be studying for long and am not prepared to go with a training provider as ive had bad experiences with them (and I couldnt afford them anyway).

I have built a few computers in the past but realy pretty much anyone can do this and I dont have as deeper knowledge as id like. I do have basic Knowledge of HTML, CSS, and some basic JavaScript and Perl along with Networking (although its been a few years since I looked at all these). I also have certificates in these technologies that I aquired as part of a CIW Website Design Manager course I did a few years back but quit when the tutors let me down.

Im 41 and have been on disability bennefits for more years than I care to mention.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Stu

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess that depends on whether you want to do IT administration or Web development.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you mention disability benefits
    is the disability going to effect your ability to do either of the roles? web developers spend a lot of time on their bums looking at screens, so if its related to the eyes that could be an issue

that said, sys admins do less hours at the screen (still far to many) but often have to lift 50kg boxes into the top of 48u racks ;)

web development would open you up to 'other' development avenues going forward too

systems would open you up to other infrastructure hardware/software avenues going forward

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

If you don't mind me asking, why the sudden move from benefits to work after this many years? Have they taken the disability benefits away? or is it a past one that you have worked over? (or do you mean incapacity benefit?)

Also, I think you are going to struggle at 41, with X years unemployed on benefits, no real qualifications or experience. There is a lot against you, but it's good that you want too. Have you spoken to the job centre? what did they say?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Cheers for that, definately something to think about. My eyes are fine but realy heavy lifting might affect my disk/spine problems.

I quite like the idea of creating something, so web development may be an idea, but then again, programing appeals to me as well. I just want to get a job as quickly as possible and from my limmited knowledge of web design, employers want portfolios more than qualifications, so maybe I should work like hell to get the A+ to try to get in somewhere. I think I need more advice from you guys. I am itching to get going and I do already own the Meyers book (6th edition).

Cheers

6. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Cheers for interest. Its Incapacity ive been on but have had no self respect or drive for years, at this age I cant go on living like this if there is any possibility for me to do something to get some sort of a life and feel some pride in myself. None of my bennefits have been taken off me. Ive just had my first appointment with the "New Start" deal people at the job center and will get a CV together next week. Although ive been on bennefits, Ive not just sat and watched TV. I went to uni for two years and got a City and Guilds in web design.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Worth noting the current trends there Stu

Web Design is very much the graphical piece these days, Style sheets, image files, style, layout, UX, etc

Web Devlopment is the back end stuff, programming, which will overlap with programming in general, in fact a lot of the techs are interchangeable in some fields

both involve the creativity aspect, one to a higher level, and the other requiring logic/maths in the mix too! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Stuart

Stuart New Member

I think I may try both then: Study for the A+ exam and start building sites with different types of functionality.

9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The A+ is for IT support professionals so contain precisely zero in the way of web design/programming content. So if your really like the web design/development idea I'd put all your effort into that and ignore the certs for now.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Yeah but im thinking that this may be the quikest route into employment. What do you think?

11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The job market at the moment is fairly hellish for anyone looking to get into IT, job vacancies are regularly seeing 50-100 applicants so employers have the freedom to pick and choose who they want. All this should make it fairly obvious that at the moment there is no 'quick way' in.

Not trying to put you off but its going to be a long hard slog, particularly as you have been out of work for a while.

The web design/development track could actually have the potential to get you 'working' fastest, as you've already said you've studied some of the stuff you'll need to know previously so if you brush up your skills and contact local charities etc they may be interested in letting you have a crack and putting something together on a voluntary basis just to build up your portfolio.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Thank you. I think Im going to take your advice.