million+1 qustions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by leeroy2612, Apr 12, 2007.

1. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

FYI: ive already wrote this once, but my pc went all gimpy on me, so i lost it all :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

forgive me if this one comes across a bit ignorant and impersonal.

* my vista premium is slowww, its a brand new desktop???

* are there any free online courses i can do, to top up my cv, while im waiting to take my A+

* is there any 'genuinly' free stuff out there to download that will help me with my A+.

* are there any jobs that i can do from home that dont require any quals/exp.

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok...

1)Was Vista preinstalled on your PC? Have you done *any* troubleshooting? Need more and info and trying to resolve the problem yourself is good experience for the A+

2) I don’t know of any but I cant imagine any free online course adding any weight to your CV. Concentrate on the A+ :biggrin

3)www.cramsession.com to name one

4) In IT? Nope :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1) Like Sparky said, this is a great learning opportunity for you. What do you think your users or customers are going to ask you? Things like, "my vista premium is slowww, its a brand new desktop???"

2) Employers don't typically care what courses you've completed, especially free ones. Anybody can sit a course.

3) Beware that some "genuinely free stuff" comes in the form of braindumps, illegal collections of questions stolen from the live exams. Using them can get you decertified and prevent you from getting future certifications if it's discovered that you used them. Additionally, free questions are also not always good quality learning tools, and can sometimes teach you misinformation. I know you're trying to be frugal... but remember, you get what you pay for... and sometimes, not even that.

4) There aren't that many IT jobs to do from home that DO require experience, much less NO experience. If there were, we'd all be working from home, would we not?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

ok good points well put,

the only reason ive not looked into it is because, i put it down to vista still having a few kinks to sort out. its working fine, jus a bit sluggish.

ive heard a bit about virtual os's, i dont really have any experience on any thing prior to xp, would these help jus to swat up on navigating older os's. are they any good and how much?

im also toying with the idea of setting up a dual boot with xp pro....... gauging on my obvious inexperience, shud i run mile or give it a go (its my missis' pc, dont fancy trying it on my laptop)
    how much could i pick xp pro up for if i was to go for it.

5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just out of curiosity, what are the specs of the vista machine?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

Elite Inspire
    System Base Price: £ 424.68
    Intel® Pentium® D 915 Dual Core (2.8GHz,4MB Cache,800MHz) [upg £ 10.00]
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
    Mini-Tower Micro ATX Case +250W PSU - Black
    ASUS P5B-TMX PCI-Express Mainboard - Pentium® D/Core™ 2 Duo - Micro ATX
    1024MB DDR2 533MHz Memory - (2x512MB)
    320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
    52x CD-RW (40x CD-ROM) [upg £ 15.00]
    Super Format SONY 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
    256MB Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator integrated (SMA)
    19" Widescreen LCD TFT Display with internal speakers
    5.1 High Definition 6 Channel Audio Codec (on-board)
    Logitech Desktop Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
    Complete 12 Month BullGuard License [upg £ 25.52]
    4x USB 2.0 Ports (6x possible on motherboard)
    Firewire PCI Card - adds IEEE1394 Connectivity to your PC [upg £ 10.00]
    1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
    1.44MB - 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive [upg £ 10.00]
    Classic Warranty - 3 Years Back-to-Base - Parts & Labour

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The hardware seems good, but personally i would have gone for two GB of RAM.

Slow PC's are usually caused by too many bloatware apps running at the same time. Typically Norton Internet Security, and stuff like HP mult-function print bloatware, dig camera bloatware etc.

Check the running processes and try and determine what is hogging the CPU or memory etc.

Also, one could argue that Vista itself with it's widgets and eyecandy is bloatware too :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

hey ive jus learnt a new word "bloatware". i take it that means. unnecessary bunf?. what is your take on virtual os's and daul booting. im a complete noob and could do with some good advice

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes exactly, unnecessary programs which are usually massive in size and are not particularly useful in any way. There main reason for existence is to market the vendors name. Or any other software which is a hog of system resources when more often than not there are better alternatives, some of which are as free as a bird.

If you are studying for certs then virtulisation is the way to go. There are many threads on this forum involving VMWare which is the best option as far as i am concerned. So do some searches for threads on here and enlighten yourself, then download it, check it out and have a play :) The idea is that you can concurrently run multiple operating systems on one host PC and play with networking and server technology without needing multiple PCs 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The on board video card you mentioned is a major lemon and if you have Aero glass switched on (assuming it supports it) then that video card will be really struggling.

As Bluerinse mentioned, 2GB of ram would be better, but it shouldn't be sluggish on 1GB (unless you are running some big memory hungry apps at the time).

The crammsessions stuff that Sparky mentioned can be quite good and is free, so not everything that is free is a turkey. :)

GL with the studying.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yep, I agree with what has been said already. The graphic card is an Intel one, majority of those use shared memory, and I bet you're graphic card does that too. If that's the case, you don't have as much ram allocated to your system as you think. In my opinion if you really want an improvement, upgrade to 2gb of ram and change your graphic's card.

However software wise, you may want to check out your security package (Bulldog I believe you mentioned). That could be hogging up alot of your system resources (we've had a similar problem here at work, one of our security packages would slow down our pc by 25-50%) and maybe replace it, if it is the cause of your problem. You could also download alternative spyware programs like ad-aware and spybot and run a manual scan on your system.

If the system actually ran fine when you first got it, and depending on your experience, you may wish to wipe everything (after you do a back up) and re-install Vista from your disc's that came with the PC (it'll either be a recovery DVD or a Vista OEM DVD, depending on what they actually provide you with).

"Free" courses/exams, you may want to check up Brainbench. They sometime offer free courses/exams, but as they're free don't expect too much from them, but depending on the employer they may take it as a good sign that you're doing something.

For free stuff, you can check out examcram, Cramsession & proprofs.

Good luck with your studies.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

yes it was pre installed, and i really havent installed any 'bloatware'. ill try everything yorl suggested thanks, oh and thanks for the links

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The hardware looks good enough... as others have said, I'd guess it's that weak video card, and you've got a bunch of the eye candy turned on.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!