1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mikes Chipset Questions?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Newbie, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Newbie

Newbie New Member

Im working my way through Mike Meyers A+ exam guide and was wondering, in chapter 7 "Motherboards" he has put a table of aload of chipsets and there

various spec's, am i expected to memorise all of these or would that be a bad use of valuable study time? :blink

Certifications: Bronze Swimming Certificate
    WIP: A+ & Silver Swimming Certificate
  2. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed

I think in the context of the exam and theoretical work, CPU specs and types and their compatibility with various motherboards are useful to memorise - I have certainly seen questions on them.

For example, you are asked in the exam 'user A has a Socket 7 type motherboard. What processors are compatible with this?'

If you haven't really learnt the basics, you won't be able to answer this. However, I don't think Comptia expects you to know every nuance of detail. Check out the hardware exam objectives here

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - that table is now well old. And I don't think CompTIA expect you to be an expert on chipsets, new or old. But, as Arroryn said, you *should* know which processor fits with which socket/slot.

Certainly my exam didn't mention chipsets. (But just one exam is not a sufficient sample for being certain!)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Just as Harry said :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Newbie

Newbie New Member

Ok, i think i'll learn the basic info on the chipsets but not go into all the different spec's, i expect i only need to know the compatability issues.
    Thanks guys/gals :D

Certifications: Bronze Swimming Certificate
    WIP: A+ & Silver Swimming Certificate