Mike Meyers questions download - same as in book or different?

Discussion in 'A+' started by tallphil, Jun 9, 2007.

1. tallphil

tallphil Bit Poster

Hi,

I'm using MM's 6th edition A+ book for my 601 and 602 exams.

The CD in the back includes 4 exams of 50 questions for each of 601, 602, 603, 604 - that's 800 questions in all.

On his website is a download of 1000 questions in 20 tests for $75.
    https://www.totalsem.com/cgi-bin/mi...n=PROD&Product_Code=1381719D&Category_Code=AC

So my question is: does anyone know if the download repeat the questions in the book CD, or are they all new questions? I don't want to pay that much to find I've already seen 4/5ths of it!

Thanks Phil.

PS Perhaps I should be asking totalsem support. But this forum seems to know everything...

WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I know there's a way to email the TotalSem support group. Why don't you ask them?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd recommend the same as Trip, and also I just have to say that after doing the A+ 601 today, The Meyers questions are of the same level of difficulty of the exam, I found them brilliant.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. tallphil

tallphil Bit Poster

Ok, thanks both, I'll email total seminars. If the questions are different to those that come with the book I'll definitely buy the download.

Thanks Phil.

5. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Be sure to post their response, so that others in the forum who are wondering the same thing, would know what to do. 8)

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  6. tallphil

tallphil Bit Poster

Good idea Neil!

I had a very prompt reply from Total Seminars. They tell me the questions in the 6th edition Mike Meyers book are a subset of those on the 1000-question download/CD.

The book CD says it contains 400 questions (2 tests on each of the four exams, 50 questions each test, 2*4*50=400) - not 800 as I said in my original post. Of course you only take 2 of the four exams, so only half the tests are applicable (though the questions in the others might still be useful).

The book CD seems to contain two versions of each test - called Practice and Final. I haven't discovered the difference yet because at this stage I've only tried the Practice tests - but I'm assuming the Practice and Final tests have the same questions, otherwise the book CD would contain 800 questions (hence my confusion before).

Anyway, in summary it appears that if like me you already have the book/CD, then you've already got 2/5ths of the questions in the $75 download.

Since I've read several posts to the effect that Mike Meyers questions are the best A+ preparation there is, I'm thinking the download is still worth 40 quid. Anyone have a view on this?

Phil.

7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Well, I got Transcender which set me back around £100.00 for both the 601 and 602. I wouldnt say I regret it, but that £40.00 seems like a very good deal, and as I mentioned before, the questions were closer to the real 601 exam for me, although I cant comment on the 602 yet as I havent taken it!

If I was in your situation, I think i'd go for the Meyers over the higher priced Transcender!

Good luck for when the real exam comes around btw :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Actually the Practice and Final exams DO comtain the same questions, however, the difference between the two is that you can get hints and assistance when doing the practice exams. You may notice a button called "Assistance" below the Practice exams screen. Well that does not appear in the Final exam. The Final exam's questions are rearranged and it offers no hints, tips or advice like in the Practice exams.

That's very useful since I did the practice exams while I was studying, and I used the "Assistance" for certain questions I didn't understand. And the day before and on the actual exam day, I did the Final exams. Its a great way to study. Hope this helps. 8)

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  9. tallphil

tallphil Bit Poster

Ok, I've downloaded the Mike Meyers 1000 questions, and also booked my 601 and 602 for three weeks time. It would be easy except I also have an 18 month old daughter to look after!

I notice people doing the 2003 exams tend to take them one at a time, this makes sense because the topics are quite different - you can learn one exam, take it, then forget it and learn the other. This isn't really the case for 601 and 602 - the subject areas are much the same, its the balance and depth that varies. So I'm going to do them both on the same day.

Thanks for the hints and good lucks.

Phil.