Mike Meyers or Street Smarts?

Discussion in 'A+' started by swatto, Feb 19, 2009.

1. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hey all,

After much consideration I have decided to do the A+ certification before the MCDST. Just wondering what book is better the Mike Meyers one or the PC Technician Street Smarts? - or do I need both?

Thankyou for any help :)

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you should get both.

The meyers book is the definitive book for the A+pc so it tells you everything you need to know for the exams.

Technician street smarts is an exercise book on how to things such as installing ram and tweaking windows.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Both
    Each which give you different skills/knowledge needed for the exam.
    If you have any money left, consider getting the Sybex book as well :)

4. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I'll echo that. I used the Sybex book, and it was like a bible of all things A+. Not much use on its own if I'm honest, but used in conjunction with the ones you've mentioned, you'll find that it fills in a lot of the background knowledge that those do not cover.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  5. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thanks all for the advice - purchased both last night so just waiting on delivery now and then I can get cracking.....grrr motivation is what I need. So as im reading its best to take quick notes while reading at the same time?

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It depends what level you're starting from. If it's all fairly new to you it might be best to read through the book once just to get a general overview.
    Thinking about it, it might be best just to read the historical/essentials parts of the book for an overview, then go back and do the whole thing taking notes.
    When you get the AIO, have a quick skim through some chapters and try the practice exams on CD. That'll give you an idea of what's involved and where you're at.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thanks for your advice :)

I have read a chapter on processors (in an earlier edition of the book that a friend has) and it explains in detail about how data is transferred to and from the processor - seeing as this is an entry level cert how deep do I actually have to go in remembering all this stuff? - its kinda worrying that there is so much stuff to remember on just one element of the machine.

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I find the processor chapter is more about the comprehension of the technology advances than learning all the facts and figures. In fact, that chapter stands out as completely different from the rest.
    Personally I'm not bothering with any of the individual processor information except slots/sockets, and even then I'm happy with knowing enough to make an educated guess.
    When combined with knowledge from the other chapters the stuff on data transfers etc becomes a bit clearer as well. Don't stress over it, you won't get tested on the details.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I can't break any rules by telling you what questions you might get as everyones exam is different but I can say that if it is in the book you may get a question on it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?