Mike Meyers - Essentials/Tech chapters and the exams

Discussion in 'A+' started by DutchTech, Nov 5, 2009.

1. DutchTech

DutchTech New Member

Hi

I'm revising for the 602 Essentials exam (taking it on the 20th of this month) - and I've just had a cold chill down my back about maybe misreading the introduction to the Mike Meyers All In One Exam Guide book that I've been revising from. I was hoping to do the Essentials exam this month and then possibly the Tech exam in January, before the changeover. That's providing that I haven't stuffed up my study schedule :oops: !

Am I correct in thinking that I just need to cover the 'Essentials' chapters in the book, to take the Essentials exam and then learn the 'Technician' chapters, to take the Tech exam?

The reason for my panic is that I'm just finishing the book having done just the Essentials chapters and I keep reading that "we've covered such-and-such in the previous chapter" when I haven't - because its in the Technician section - and it's freaking me out!

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I tried splitting them up like that but found it didn't work. If you look at the objectives you'll see a lot of overlap between the two.
    The good news is that they're so interlinked that if you're ready to pass one, you're probably ready to pass both.
    I'd start studying the bits I'd missed out and probably do a few practice exams asap on both the 601 and 602 to give me a benchmark I can use to measure my improvement.

You can put back your exam (I think you can do it any time up to 48, or maybe 24, hours before the exam itself) if you think you need more time. I wouldn't wait too long between the 2 exams either. I studied for both at the same time and the two weeks I had in between the 601 and 602 were largely wasted in my opinion.
    Another bit of good news, most people on here seem to find the 602 a little bit easier.
    Good luck!

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. DutchTech

DutchTech New Member

Many thanks for your advice.

I think I'll postpone the exam a few weeks and get stuck into the Technician chapters.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

DO NOT SPLIT THE BOOK INTO SECTIONS

THe parts that say essentials or IT Tech do not mean that they are exclusivley for that exam they mean that it may appear on that exam.

The best bet is to read the whole book and treat it as one big exam with two parts.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?