Mike Meyers AIO A+ software

Discussion in 'A+' started by brizzoluk, Sep 23, 2008.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Hi all
    I have just started reading the above mentioned book and i thought i would pop the cd-rom in to have a look at the practise exams that are on there.
    When the software trys to install it comes back with a message saying i need a newer version of windows media player to play it!
    I am running windows vista which im pretty sure comes pre-installed with windows media player 11 whereas the message im getting with this software is claiming that i only have version 6 installed which im sure isnt the case!
    Any ideas guys?

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Are you absolutely sure that it said Windows Media Player? Theres an entry on the TotalSem website claiming that you can get an error about an older version of the windows installer (http://www.totalsem.com/support/faq/3rd_edition.php#installer).

Failing that, have you attempted to contact the TotalSem support about this? They are almost certainly going to be the best help with fixing it (since its their product, after all).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Can you browse the CD in Explorer and use VLC to watch the vids? Not ideal I know :(

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  4. brizzoluk

yes its definately windows media player and the software states that a minimum of version 9 is required but for some reason it thinks i am running version 6.4!
    I can browse the cd in explorer but its really not ideal so i think i'll have to contact the vendor,
    Thanks for the replies.

5. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

I got exactly the same problem, its probably because the CD is quite old and it doesn't see a version of Media Player it recognises so it assumes its too old.

Trouble is there seems no way to bypass this, apart from I suppose installing an older version of Media Player?

Don't know if the problem is the same on my N+ book, one would assume so??

This does work (from what I can remember) but it was the practice questions I was after.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  6. brizzoluk

yes Dullage i was after the 8 practise exams but cannot find them in explorer.
    The cd (thinking you're using an older player) attempts to install version 9 but it wont install as there are apparantly compatibility issues between that version and vista :rolleyes:

7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Think I can help out here, you can run the practice exams on vista if you browse to the disk and run Launch.exe first option is install practice exams.

Run that and your away.

For some reason the learn key setup is the file in the autorun rather than the nice little launcher program.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^ I have heard this too

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. brizzoluk

Excellent!!
    Cheers guys I have installed all the exams on my pc and also a full list of A+ acronyms which i was about halfway through writing out myself! :D
    Thanks again.

10. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Had the same problem about 3 weeks ago. Was just about to ask here when I found that launch thing on the CD. Practise exams are great for zeroing in on your weaknesses. You can read the whole AIO book, other books, and websites galore, and get all smug in how much you know, BUT it's incredibly difficult to guage how ready you are. It's impossible to identify areas you don't know, because... you don't know them!

So tests are invaluable. Do as many as you can!
    A site I found that I stongly recommend is ProProfs A+ section. There are lots of practise exams. A lot of them are out of date, and tailored to the older A+ (pre-2006 objectives) and so contain a lot of weird and wonderful stuff about older OSs and techs, but there's some real gold in there too. (And it's NOT a braindump btw - I checked it out on CertGurad.) There are also some useful cram-sheets and study guides.

I passed the 601 this afternoon. I've been using practise exams to inform my study for about the past two weeks, and I'm certain they've helped.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  11. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Congrats on the pass Zig :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Indeed, well done :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Thanks.
    Although I've got the 602 soon. It's after that I plan to celebrate!

ATM my main worry is Windows 2000 specific questions. I'm confident with XP as I've been using it for years - but I don't think I've ever even seen 2000. If I get a bunch of questions on policies and setting group permissions across Windows 2000 networks, I could be in trouble - otherwise should do alright.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?