Mike Meyers A+ Book...

Discussion in 'A+' started by quackers, Jan 21, 2005.

1. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

On the advice of these good forums, i bought his book last week. Im finding it quite good, you know the test exams and quiz are they really close to the real questions from the exam?

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

They were certainly a fair representation of the real thing back when I did A+ (3rd edition Myers). The only thing I cautioned against at the time and continue to now, is DO NOT over-prep with those exams. By which I mean sit them over and over so that eventually you are only memorising an indivual group of questions, not learning/ fine-tuning the concepts any more,

I nearly fell foul of this, and would always advise others about it too.

Other than that, HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

cheers for the advice jakomoko, i do know what you mean. Im just thinking that it will help me learn the facts and figures using the questions.

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The Meyers book is quite good and I recommend it to anyone planning to take the A+. I also agree with Gav regarding the mock exam questions that come on the book's CD. They can help you assess how well you've absorbed the material but beyond a certain point, all you end up doing is memorizing the test answers.

What you really need to do to make sure you successfully pass the A+ is to know the material and more than that, practice on PCs. Take them apart, put them back together. Try to break them and fix them.

For the OS section, try to actually perform as many of the tasks from this section as you can on your PC or on a test PC. Get familiar with how basic computer operations work. When I took the A+, I remembered not so much what I'd studies out of a book as I remembered things I'd actually done.

As far as mock exams go, even the best of them can only approximate the test questions and environment. The real thing will always be different than what you anticipate. Also, keep in mind that no matter how well you know the material, anxiety will cut into your performance at least a little bit (unless you have nerves of steel and ice water flowing through your veins). Make sure you know the material as well as possible so that you can take a bit of an "anxiety hit" on your score and still pass.

Good luck on your studying and on the exam, quackers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+