Migration Code

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Whats the score with this migration code or am i the only person that have not used this?

I changed provider 3 times now (adsl) and never requested a MAC code, but i am always hearing that people have to request this? Why? and whats so special about it?

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

As far as i know it it a code you give to yout new provider to say that your current isp has given you the all clear etc and everything is hunky dory . I personally think its twoddle and you should be able to switch providers like you do with your mobile phone.Unlock the phone and put a new sim in ?

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you don't use a MAC then the effect is of a 'cease' and 'provide', and can take days if your are not lucky.

Getting a MAC from the losing provider and handing it to the gaining should ensure a downtime of minutes.

Note that the MAC system is relatively recent - when ASDSL first started it wasn't part of the system.

The purpose of the MAC system is to counteract 'slamming'. This is where an unscrupulous provider could transfer a whole lot of accounts from other providers to itself without the owners being aware, or agreeing.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Migration Authorisation Code - pretty much what Harry says. Don't think it's quite as bad now, but some ISPs (such as the one I used to work for) could be downright arsey about providing it to you. However, you should note that it is illegal for them not to provide a MAC if you request one.

HTH a little :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

That is good to hear Gav. I have two potential customers wanting to ditch their current ISP.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not quite true as I understand it.

There are a few ISPs that havn't signed up, so are not obliged to offer MACs.

Ofcom are , I believe, leaning on them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Harry, thanks - I omitted to mention that the MAC scheme is opt-in for the ISPs, so my comments above apply only if an ISP has opted in. If not, then you're out of luck.

Ofcom ? From experience, a toothless hound.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

so how would you find out if they have opt-in? its it just by asking?