Migrate to SBS 2008

Discussion in 'SBS' started by Sparky, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Has anyone tried migrating from a SBS 2003 box to SBS 2008? There is an official guide to do this from MS which gets away from the flatten the domain and rebuild days of SBS!

Im going to give this a test run this week (I hope!) as I have a live install coming up for a relatively small network (25 users) but there is a stack of member servers and third party applications so keeping the domain would be a major benefit.

Migration guide here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...63-78af-4a96-811e-284f5c1de13b&displaylang=en

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I haven't, but then again I don't use SBS. Good guide though :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Sparky

It does look fairly comprehensive. Will see how it goes! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Sparky

Still in the lab phase with this and managed to get the answer file etc to work with the new server.

In saying that when I logged into the new server an error popped up saying “The following non-critical errors occurred”

First error...........

Unable to install Exchange Server 2007

Good old Microsoft!!! :rolleyes: :biggrin

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You mean to say, you didn't expect that Sparky? :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Sparky

LOL! I know, for some reason I thought MS might get things right this time.

I tried another SBS migration and got the same problem but was able to run a repair of Exchange from add\remove programs and now it’s installed.

Now onto SharePoint.....

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cool stuff, well done! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

Ive done a couple for clients of about that size and one of the keys is too run the best practice analyser and make sure every little last error is addressed. Do all your windows updates and service packs and then follow the rest of the guide (which I found very useful). That seems to have made my migrations go smoothly (at least the major parts of them). Expect lots of little troubleshooting steps afterwards (right drivers for printers 32 and 64, profile paths and group policy issues etc) but on the whole its not too bad. Try the windows image backup once your done (I love it) and watch out for that 21 day time limit.

Hope that helps a bit....if you want anymore info let me know :-)

J.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

All I'll say is ..... brave man ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Looks liek we're going to take over an organisation (non-educational) that uses SBS 2003 and they want to upgrade their server. Looks like we're going to be working with SBS 2003 and the new 2008 pretty soon :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Sparky

Cheers for the help mate.

On the first migration I did I ran Windows update on the source server however when I tried to migrate the migration wizard would not run as SBS SP1 had not been installed. I’m sure you know that SP1 for SBS was quite a big install with all the components so it looks like that particular component was not installed.

Also when I ran the prep tool on the source server it hung on the first server tested on so I had to run adprep manually. The second server had no issues.

Have you migrated Sharepoint yet?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Sounds like its going well for you Sparky.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. Sparky

I’m determined to get this done and documented as we will have a few SBS 2003 servers that will need replaced fairly soon and I don’t want to rebuild the domain if needed. Also some applications are tied into the existing domain so it would be a major hassle to move them to a new domain.

Much easier to migrate a standalone DC and Exchange server though! :biggrin

14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate once you have documented it, if you would care to share that would be awesome :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  15. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

fortunately for me no customers that I have migrated are using Sharepoint so it hasnt been an issue. Probably best I think as Sharepoint is kicking up all sorts of errors in my logs and Im not even using it for anything.

I think Ive been lucky in general as they ones I have done, have had very few custom apps or anything that needed migrating as well. Very much a Vanilla flavoured environments. On migrations the other guys at the office have done they have run into problems when they didnt have everything patched to the hilt whereas mine have always gone smoothly. I guess its a matter of getting the source server in as good a condition as possible to let the migration have the greatest chance of success.

Cheers

J.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  16. Sparky

Yeah, it does look that way. I have found some resources on the web which show what version of Sharepoint you are running. SBS 2008 ships with Sharepoint Services 3 with SP1 so I need to make sure Im running the same on the source server before migrating (I think!) Also need to mess around with stsadm to prep the Sharepoint site.