might be a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shaggy, May 17, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

I was just browsing the reed website when i see a job vacancy for IT Support

the skills required, among others, were:

" Microsoft Networks - 2000 & 2003

" Domains

" SQL Servers

" Exchange / Email Server (Essential)

I know i have a lot on at the moment with studying for the A+ but i know it does not cover any of these things, but it appears most IT jobs these days require Server knowledge, how would i gain such knowledge? obviously ill then be stuck with the knowledge but no experience catch but i just wanted to know, or is it the sorta thing id have to get certified in after my A+?

thanks for any help

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First off, please keep in mind that all these job adverts you see are really "wish lists". That is, they represent the quals of the "perfect candidate". Also, it depends on what level of support you are supposed to render in the job. IT Support is a catch phrase that can mean many things. Obviously if the Exchange server eats your emails, you'll want to call "IT Support" and report it.

At the A+ level, you'll probably be most qualified for basic hardware and desktop support...low level stuff. This frees up more experienced staff to put out fires that occur at more sophisticated levels of the infrastructure (server and networking issues).

The way to get knowledge and experience is two-fold. One: You get an entry-level IT job, learn to do it well, earn the respect of your peers and superiors and, when they trust you, ask them if you could help out with some of the server-side issues.

Two: Start studying those issues. If server support interests you, you could pick up a Server+ study guide. You may or may not want to earn the cert but in either case, knowledge is knowledge.

Frankly, in a smaller IT department, people wear many hats. I worked for such an IT shop as a temp for 3 months and I was doing everything from rebuilding PCs to changing server backup tapes to installing printers to...you get the idea...just about everything. It was great experience, tho.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Now dont let that throw you...in my last IT job, I knew nothing about Server 2K and 2K3, Domains and Exchange servers...yet they gave me the job and in the 6 mths I was there I knew what they were and I didnt have the A+ then either...

So long as you feel confident about yourself, and state what you want to do...explain you may have not worked in that environment but you have been practising or will be learning as time goes on...thats how I got my last job. They could say I was being serious...hence doing my A+ at long last...

Now if someone says to me do you know your way around Active Directory, I can say yes I do.

Another way to gain knowledge on servers is to practice yourself at home...its what I have been doing with Longhorn server since I lost my last job...believe me you can learn alot...and if you mention this in interviews and state it on your CV it will help...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quoted for Truth.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I have to agree with everything said so far.... no need to say anymore! :biggrin

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA