Microsoft's New Certs

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Jan 6, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Guy's I've just been looking at what new exams MS are releasing here and a question poped into my head:

They way that they are structuring the certs will you have to have passed an MCTS exam before you can take a MCITP exam?

Obviously you need to have achieved MCTS status before you can become an MCITP, but can you still take the exams in any order?

:blink

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Good find Si. As for the order in which to do them i couldn't see anything.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

They're a bit like MCPs, there is no specific order to them so you can do them any way you like.

It is a bit confusing as they aren't quite like the conventional exams wer're used to.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm sure I read somewhere that you have to have passed the MCTS exams before progressing onto the MCITP exams.

When does the new structure go into practice? I'm assumming it will be with the release of Vista?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im very confused at how MS is changing its cert structure... and to be honest a little concerned or should i not be?

once i get my MCSE lets say by the end of the year will it be rendered "useless" because of the new exams? thus forcing me to more exams just to be certfied?

If someone could explain to me the new certs:

• Today: Pass 70-228 and become a MCP , pass the rest and you become a MCDBA.

• In the near Future: What do you have to pass to become a 'MCP' (whats the new term used?) Then i understand there are two more stages? its all confusing to me so if someone could explain using SQL server 2005 and database administrator status it would be nice!

Thanks! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

These may help answer your questions Zimbo.

8)

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There are currently upgrade exams for MCAD, MSCD and MCDBA, so I imagine that will be the same for MCSA/MCSE when we get that far.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD