Microsoft's MCTS

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by vivek_master146, Feb 3, 2009.

1. vivek_master146

vivek_master146 Bit Poster

Hi all! I am interested in Windows and Web application development. NIIT(ASIA'S No 1 trainer) is providing training in ADO.NET,XML,ASP.NET and C#.

Should I first learn C++ thoroughly before moving on to C# and ASP.NET ?

What is the scope of .NET as compared to Java ? I know Java is platform-independent. Does it make .net inferior and less in scope in IT industry.

Are Microsoft MCTS certificate(70-528 and 536) valuable ?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I see no reason, or point, to learn C++ if you want to move to C#.

There are a lot of things in C++ that Microsoft ditched to produce C#, so why learn about them?

Java and .Net are just different. One is not 'better' than the other, it will all depend on what the target app is to do as to which platform might be more appropriate.

As to certs - as I've said before - I've found that there is far less emphasis on certs in the programming world.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. vivek_master146

vivek_master146 Bit Poster

The first language i learn was VB 6 through self-study. I loved it because it has RAD feature. We can quickly create small games, applications in VB. C# is also RAD but is it too time-consuming to write applications in C#. ? In C++ it really takes time to create applications.

How is ASP.NET for Web applications. ? Many people are recommending me to do PHP as it can run on both linux and windows server whereas asp.net requires some license. PHP is also strong language and contains more feature than ASP.

Do i need to be very strong at maths for programming job?

I am average at maths.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

ASP, if not used carefully, will sometimes not work correctly with non-MS browsers.

PHP is a nice easy language, so easy that it is also easy to shoot yourself in the foot, as many users of phpBB have found.

You need to be good at *logic* to be a good programmer. General maths is less important.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+